Creaky Praxis cranks on 2017 Levo comp

Kiwi Phil

Founding Member
Just wondering if anyone else has found that their praxis cranks on the 2017 Levos, start making creaking sounds.
I’ve done 1000km on the bike and for the last 200 they have creaked and groaned a bit under pedal pressure.
I’m sure is the cranks because I can lubricate them by spraying them with WD40 or CRC 5.56 and it temporarily fix it.
It’s due for its 6 month check and I was going to get my LBS to grease them, but I like to do basic serving myself, just don’t have the tools for the removal.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Might not be the same problem , though i had the creaky sound for ages, thought is was the cranks. Another mate with Levo had same issues so from info from a german site we took off the side covers (painful on drive side) and applied grease where the side covers touch the frame. Was a whole thread on Levo noise problems and everyone had fixed it the above way. Tried to find the link but its buried under newer threads. Good luck

Kiwi Phil

Founding Member
Might not be the same problem , though i had the creaky sound for ages, thought is was the cranks. Another mate with Levo had same issues so from info from a german site we took off the side covers (painful on drive side) and applied grease where the side covers touch the frame. Was a whole thread on Levo noise problems and everyone had fixed it the above way. Tried to find the link but its buried under newer threads. Good luck

Awesome, thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. I’ll have a look tomorrow and give it a go. Sounds like a nice easy fix, except for getting that drive side cover off.
Cheers Tmacca ?

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I had a similar issue, turns out the crank just needed re-greasing and the cover was broken (boss had broken off). Specialized know they have a problem with the covers and all new covers are now made from a different type of plastic and are a little bit more robust, managed to get one FOC.
The cranks come off easy as are self extracting, the chainring / spider is also pretty ease to remove but you need to use a special tool and gear puller.
Lots of images and instructions on the web showing how to do this (y)

ChrisD

Jun 22, 2018
OC
I have the 2018 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp. Love everything about it but the creaking like a motel bed in the bottombracket/motor area. Shop says its a known problem. But they cant seem to fix it and it is an hour worth of work to drop motor and check mounts every time; which is after every ride now.. Likely the mount/adapters to the carbon frame. The motor mounts the same as the Alloy frame. The net result is nuts and washers and mounts blah blah lots of pieces. I left it at the shop and told them I don't want it if it cant be fixed. Would they let a demo go out with this creak? No. Every time we go out riding and someone asks about all the ebikes, our Commencal guys point to my creaks. guess which bike they will want? Such a fun bike. But if it creaks after 4 rides and cant be resolved imagine what it will sound like in a year. So thoroughly disappointing and frustrated. Someone have a real solution?

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Last ditch attempt, change out all the offending nuts and bolts, maybe the threads are just slightly damaged allowing for movement.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I have the 2018 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp. Love everything about it but the creaking like a motel bed in the bottombracket/motor area. Shop says its a known problem. But they cant seem to fix it and it is an hour worth of work to drop motor and check mounts every time; which is after every ride now.. Likely the mount/adapters to the carbon frame. The motor mounts the same as the Alloy frame. The net result is nuts and washers and mounts blah blah lots of pieces. I left it at the shop and told them I don't want it if it cant be fixed. Would they let a demo go out with this creak? No. Every time we go out riding and someone asks about all the ebikes, our Commencal guys point to my creaks. guess which bike they will want? Such a fun bike. But if it creaks after 4 rides and cant be resolved imagine what it will sound like in a year. So thoroughly disappointing and frustrated. Someone have a real solution?
Do you have a multi-tool and multi-tool cage under the water bottle mount? I discovered it was the source of my creaking sound. I was infuriated by it, but eventually identified it. Take the tool out and go for a ride and see if it sounds any better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles