Kenevo Gen1 Creak City Chronicles: Lessons from a Snapped Motor Mount Bolt

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
2020 Lenovo Kenevo here. It's been a solid bike overall—reliable, sturdy, no major complaints. Well, except for one: the Fusion Manic seat post decided to give up on life. Thanks for that, I guess.

Recently, though, my Kenevo has making a really loud creak. It's easy to replicate, especially when I'm stationary and put pressure on the left side. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere around the middle or rear, which narrows it down to...half the bike.

Naturally, I went through the usual suspects:
  • Pulled the cranks, greased the spindle
  • Loosened/tightened the rear axle
  • Same with the shock bolt
  • Gave the drivetrain some TLC
But nope, the creak was still loud and clear.

So, I took it to my local bike shop (LBS). The mechanics there are always super chill. One of the guys took a quick ride and confirmed—this thing was Creak City. He torqued a couple of bolts (shock bolt and some motor mount bolts), then hit me with, "We can figure this out for about $150... or you could do it yourself."

He suggested going through all the pivot bolts—remove, inspect, grease—and said not to worry about a torque wrench, since you can feel the stop when tightening. Cool, right?

Tonight, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work:
  • Lower BB pivot? Squeak still there.
  • Chainstay/rear pivots? Nope, still squeaking.
  • All upper pivots? Yep, you guessed it—still creaking.
The mechanic had also mentioned retorquing the motor mounts, so I gave that a shot. And as soon as I started on the first one, barely any pressure, SNAP. The bolt broke like a toothpick. Apparently, motor mount bolts only need 160 foot-pounds of torque, whereas pivot bolts take 180. Who knew? I suppose I should have looked this up before I started on this fun little project.

Sooooo, FML. Moral of the story? Use a torque wrench, especially on those motor mount bolts! Don't learn the hard way like I did.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles