Cracked chain side plate!

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
So, Just starting to wipe down the chain before cleaning when something caught my eye. At first I thought it was a bit of plant material caught on the chain but on much closer inspection saw it was a crack in the chain side plate. Normally to clean the chain the bike goes on the full size work stand but this time I just had it on the low back wheel stand and was kneeling looking down at the chain. It was cracked on the inside plate so from a distance could of easily been missed.
This is a Sram chain with about 500 miles from new, cleaned and lubed after every ride (except in summer) using just standard cleaning and lube products.
Been riding for a long time and never had a chain break on normal MTB's but when we switched to e bikes, reading the advice on this and other forums I really started paying a lot more attention to the chains so I'm well disappointed.It was not showing excessive wear on the chain measuring tool. Just when you start congratulating yourself on your work ethic this pops up. In all honesty I think I've just been a bit unlucky with the chain but it still puts doubt in your mind. Did I say I take my maintenance seriously?
Anyway, please note I have not posted this to slam Sram chains (I've just brought another) or xxx chain lube etc etc. More just to hope people keep a close eye on their chains. To add a bit of context try throwing a few searches into google like "cracked xxxx chains" and look at images 😲. I think I got off lucky.

IMG_1462.jpg

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Unfortunately, e-bikes are much harder on chains so there will be more wear.

then it depends a bit on how you drive, for example, if you drive often so you pedal heavily, for example on uphills, it wears extremely on the chain

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
It's a good thing you examine your bike while in the garage, because that chain is going to fail VERY soon. It's kind of odd that it broke only part way, rather than just coming apart on the trail.

I've cobbled together two pieces of low-milage chain... but will never admit publicly to doing so. A new chain would be better. T

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
I've cobbled together two pieces of low-milage chain... but will never admit publicly to doing so. A new chain would be better. T
:D No, new chain is already on the bike. I've seen first hand my mates chain break whilst riding next to me. It ended with him on the floor with a dislocated collarbone.
You can see how the link has stretched apart slightly so yea, who knows how long it would have lasted? Gulp!

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I found the same two weeks ago.
One side had totally failed & part of the link was missing.
What alerted me to the problem was skipping gears.
I always carry a spare unlubed chain as a standby to get home on & have another at home to fit.
New one fitted straight away & replacement ordered.

Last edited:

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
With a eMTB chain, can you still break the chain with a chain splitter, take a link out and reconnect, just to get you home. Or are these chains different from our older MTB's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles