Consumable parts and typical lifespan

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Im Interested to know what peoples approximate wear rates are for consumable parts on ebikes.
Specifically chains and brake pads I guess.

I'm asking this because I seem to be fling through brake pads at quite a fast rate and I'm not sure if it's cheap pads or maybe I drag my brakes too much!

For reference I've done 250 miles and probably on my 4th set of rear pads and my chain (12sp eagle GX) is just about at .75 wear.
If it makes a difference I ride mostly FOD and cwmcarn/risca and always clean my chain after a ride.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On your fourth set in 250 miles seems excessive to me.
Chain already at 0.75% even for a 12-speed also seems excessive.

I ride frequently in a sandy environment (not a beach, just sandy soil) and when its wet I can hear the scraping noises! But I get several thousand miles from a 12-speed cassette and over 750 miles from rear pads, more from the front. I know that cheap chains wear out faster than expensive ones (which in turn wear out the cassette and ring faster too).

Early on in my mtb journey, I was cured of dragging my rear brakes when they started making a horrendous noise. They were so bad that the bike frame vibrated. Nothing I did would stop them, so until I replaced the complete set, I stopped using my rear brake. That forced me to use the front brake properly or not at all. I braked less and went faster! Once I had a full set of brakes that worked without noise, I realised that I used the rear brakes a LOT less. And I was still going faster!

A mate was coming over from Greece for a few days to visit his Mum and asked if he could borrow a bike and go for a ride. He could use my hardtail, but the rear pads needed replacing. I forgot to do it until the last minute and didn't have time to bed them in. I asked him to do it while we were setting up at the trail head. He mustn't have done a good job because he wore clean through the pads and into the metal plate in just 12 miles! The pad springs were destroyed.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A lot of my riding is in sandy loamy soil but brake pads ( sintered always) last probably 750 miles plus ( Codes). 12 speed chain about 500 to 700 miles depending on the season. I could probably get more life out of the pads since I do not run them down too thin and when I service the calipers I change pads as a matter of course.
To extend brake pad life use decent pads ( I only use Avid pads in my Codes), avoid dragging the brakes as much as possible. Chain life is not just about how you clean the and lube the drivetrain ( not just the chain) but how you use the chain..........cadence too low/gearing too high/powered on gear change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles