Concussion and crashing

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Get well soon Rob. Haven't had a chance to look at the video but with head injury take it easy for a while mate. Like loads of BMX, DH & DJ riders my age I've made the mistake in my younger years of getting straight back up and continuing like nothing has happened far too many times and definitely paid the price..

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
ahh, watching now.. that fox is already on my buy list ! its a great looking protective helmet.

I dont know when you did this but Ive had more concussions and KO's than I can recall in rugby, mx and mtb. in the early days , especially rugby, I would/could just get up and finish the game before everyone took the piss in the bar because I didnt know what day it was. my personal experience is that after a few of them, the effects are longer and more severe. the last one had me being sick for 3 days and lasted 3 weeks total.
good man for getting the info out there.. take care after a head injury and you are fortunate that you were not alone on the trail !
GWS bud.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hope you're back to normal ! The more subtle effects can hang around for weeks.

When you did the re-enactment I thought you were going to use the hacksaw to start randomly chopping things up to show the sometimes bizarre effects concussion can have ! :)

They must have loved it at Berkshire ..

"It's Rob, he's bashed his head" ..
"Really, ok, erm well he's normally pretty tight so try and sell him a load of the expensive Fox gear whilst he's not really sure what's happening" o_O :p

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Good to see your recovered @Rob Rides EMTB

Be good to know which helmet it was used in the hit? And then if not the Dropframe then I wonder why. Maybe this was way before Rob used the dropframe? I’ll check the study but without seeing I’d be interested in seeing the results of the Smith Mainline which is MIPS + Koroyd and the POC Coron airspin which is EPP and it’s own version of MIPS they believe is more advanced, when you look into the POC guys they seem pretty cutting edge.....I have these in my posession currently to try prevent a concussion from happening......

Last edited:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Here's a better one. A while ago but I was out for a while...https://www.facebook.com/groups/483092795120772/permalink/807966402633408

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Another Independent testing reveals safest helmets - Cycling Weekly

Best Full Face Bike Helmet of 2020 FF comparisons, hard to get a good list it seems!

Personally Koroyd or wavecell helmets are potentially the safest, I don’t see how you can make EPS helmets any better given it’s all the same build more/less, some with MIPS/airspin/moneyshakeswobblyness but actually the extra shock absorber happens to be only seen in Koroyd or wavecell so ill hedge my bets with the Smith Mainline for now

Koroyd

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For sure - I couldn’t un clip in time. But the real root cause was lack of judgement to the amount of speed needed for that particular jump. It was on the flat and I simply hit it way too slow.
90% of accidents can be avoided by following the simple mantra of "FASTER FASTER FASTER !!! Must go Faster !"

Unfortunately, the 10% of far far far worse accidents happen due to people following this mantra ... ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For sure - I couldn’t un clip in time.
Do you think if you'd had shimano sh-sm56 cleats you might have unclipped naturally and managed to roll away rather than being whiplashed into the ground ? I've not tried either but as a regular ground and tree hugger, I'm curious to know how they'd react in similar situations.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Do you think if you'd had shimano sh-sm56 cleats you might have unclipped naturally and managed to roll away rather than being whiplashed into the ground ? I've not tried either but as a regular ground and tree hugger, I'm curious to know how they'd react in similar situations.
I used the sh56 cleats for cross country/trail before ebiking and they definitely saved me a few times because they really unclip when you make a sudden unexpected movement and in my case I never had an issue of unclipping unintentionally. However, I never did jump, drops or similar before ebiking so I don’t know about rougher situations. Now I ride flats, simply because I continuously get into (slightly) rougher stuff and they feel safer (as in not crashing).

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
That scene of cutting the helmet remits to the movie Django, when Brad Pitt cuts the skull of an old slave... Tarantino style rules!!!
Kill all that jumps with speed man ????

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You seem to have survived that time without ill effects Rob, but I'm sure that I read somewhere that head injuries are a bit like lead poisoning, in that they are cumulative. When you get old, they manifest themselves in things like earlier onset of degenerative brain conditions that otherwise may have happened; stuff like Alzheimer's! So you don't want to be even a little bit brain damaged!!!!

Thanks for the timely post, I'm believe that I'm due a new helmet any time soon. I have a Bell Super 3, but without the chin bar. I'll take a look at that Virginia tech survey - I'm wondering where the Bell Super is on it? (Edit: No, but the Bell Sixer is)

Edit 1: I've just read the methodology, seems a thorough and well researched piece of work.
Edit 2: But the Koroyd technology appeals to me as well.
:unsure:

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I feel concussed today.
15 Staropramen has that effect on me
Do you think if you'd had shimano sh-sm56 cleats you might have unclipped naturally and managed to roll away rather than being whiplashed into the ground ?
Nope.
The crash was caused by rob's own body weight tranferring forwards and slightly to the right when the rear wheel cased the landing.
Rob was still holding onto the bars as the front wheel washed out to the left. This tells us he had not yet concluded he was going down until it was too late to save it, whether that be from releasing his feet or releasing his grip on the bars.
Different cleats would have made little difference. Flats might have tho. as it was his forward foot (right) that stayed clipped in. And as that's the side he was falling onto that's the foot he would have tried to get down.

it's pretty common for beginners to crash in just the way Rob did basically from not having a strong enough stance and upper body position. Rob was looking ahead nicely but his body just wasn't ready to hold the jolt from the case.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I feel concussed today.
15 Staropramen has that effect on me
I'd feel concussed if 15 angry German women with Prams stared at me for any significant length of time too ..

but his body just wasn't ready to hold the jolt from the case.
So you're saying he needs to spend less time buying nice Fox gear (which does look good BTW) and more time working on his core strength.

Rob did basically from not having a strong enough stance
Is this just from general basic body position or has the switch to clipless made him more relaxed about correct position ? So switching to clips we think we're more connected (because we are) but sometimes we might then forget correct technique ?

Is it time for no.16 ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a pleasurable calming effect on women. Even Angry German Women.

contrary to popular belief, you don't actually have to work very hard for a strong core and you certainly don't need to go anywhere near a gym.
Lots and lots of Mannies, jumping and pumping will do it.
And yes. That kind of "pumping" too

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Is this just from general basic body position or has the switch to clipless made him more relaxed about correct position ?
No. it's from his blind ignorance in assuming his rear wheel would make the distance right up until the point it cased the landing.
But we all learn from our mistakes and our ability to make a judgement increases as we improve. Practice making perfect n that

If you want to blame some equipment. Fine. But start with the stupidly long stays on the supermarket Eeb ;)
(No. not really ;) )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles