Levo Gen 3 Clip In Pedals?

Mikes56

Aug 30, 2021
CA
How many of you use clip ins compared to just flat pedals? I took the egg beaters off my regular Mtb and put them on my new Levo.

My wife had a mild crash and one of the small spikes on her flat pedal layed her knee open requiring 14 stitches. After that I kinda want to stay away from flat pedals.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Some people choose based on the advantages of one option over the other. In other words, they focus on things going well. Other choose based on what can go wrong. They want to minimize risk.

So ask yourself, am I more interested in the advantages of one pedal option over the other? Or am I more worried about the potential for injury in a crash?

I've had many crashes with flats, and none have resulted in being injured by the pins. OTOH, I've got a scar from a pin that happened when I lowered the bike after pushing it out of the garage with the bike stood up on the back tire.

If you're in the 'things going wrong' camp, then imagine potential injuries from failing to get unclipped and the potential injuries from flat pedal pins. Which is worse in your imagined scenarios?

Note to clip fans - I said *imagine*. :) Risk assessment is based on imagining what might go wrong, then trying to prevent the scenario or minimizing the potential injury.

Mikes56

Aug 30, 2021
CA
My feet slide off the pedals when we’re riding our Vados and it’s irritating. I’m thinking it’s going to be way worse when off-road. Previously I’ve always had clip ins.

I haven’t seen any pics of Emtb’s with clip ins, so I wanted to ask.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My feet slide off the pedals when we’re riding our Vados and it’s irritating.

I haven’t seen any pics of Emtb’s with clip ins, so I wanted to ask.

I know some very good riders who prefer clipless pedals, so don't write them off as roadie gear.

I've only been riding flats for just over a year, after riding clipless for a long, long time. For me, the learning curve was steep. There were a couple months where my legs were so cut up that people thought I was attacked by a miniature mountain lion. Now that I'm proficient with both, I have no desire to ride clipless any more.

Back to your first comment, if your feet actually "slide off" the pedals, then get rid of your crappy pedals. If your feet "come off" the pedals, then you need to learn to feel your weight on your feet. It's a basic skill that's easy to say, but takes a while to master.

If I was to recommend flats with big pins, it wouldn't be 100% objective. Both are good, and both have strengths and weaknesses. You can be a good rider with either.

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
So many spot on comments above regarding clips vs flats. Bottom line it was a learning curve to stay clear of the spinning pins!

After 3 months on this forum your wife's unfortunate accident was the first I've come across due to the small pins on the pedals.

I used clipless on my acoustic bike for over 50 years. I never felt comfortable with them as they were too hard to release in an emergency situation. But for supplying power to your bike on the upstroke there is nothing better as your leg and riding shoe are part of the pedal. But with an ebike I no longer need that upstroke power as the motor supplies that for me.

My Giant came with flat pedals that have less aggressive type pins than the new ones I have now,, but they both still nick up my legs as it's a learning curve as another poster said. We need to stay clear of the moving pedals especially while walking beside the bike or unloading it from a car rack. Most of my leg nicks over my past 3 months and 3 different ebikes were not caused while riding. Great comment by the poster who said you need to learn keep your weight on the pedal. It's way too easy to slide off when the motor is doing the heavy lifting for you.

The first ebike I bought was a Trek Verve which was more of a commuter style and the pedals had like wavy metal front and back edges which held you shoe in great, but they still nicked up my legs.

I had to invest in a 100 count box of band aids in my first month 😱.
As a hobby I collect and sharpen higher end folding knives with a Wicked Edge sharpenng system. Early in the learning curve I cut myself plenty. Now I can't remember the last time I knicked myself because just like playing a piano., you eventually train your muscles so your motions become automatic.

Go to a bike decent shop and they will have a number of less aggressive flat pedals. Or browse Amazon. Look for the style with the rubber type protrusions. She can always go back to the pins in the future if she chooses too.

I was looking forward to the cooler weather, just so I could wear long biking pants again 😁😁😁. I bought two pair of fleece lined thermal, padded biking pants off Amazon to extend my biking season. They are of a great quality for the price (see pic) and no more nicks!

Like I said I was getting more nicks off the bike than on! Like carrying my bike up and down the stairs from my basement, walking beside it or loading on and off the car's bike rack or scratching up your mates bike while on the rack. Check out these "quality" Granite pedal covers (pictured) with a velcro closure that were also off Amazon for like $20 ($10 a pedal is cheaper than band aids over the long run 😁). And they are the perfect protection when you are off your bike. I got them in the large size and they also protect my expensive DMR Vault pedals from scratches during transport.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 6.07.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 6.40.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 7.01.29 AM.png

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
most of enduro and DH racers use clipless.
however for riding slow technical trails where you want to put your foot on a ground (and also later you have a problem to clip in, just before steep part for example) - flats are better.

OneUp Pedals or Crank Brothers Stamp + good shoes (5.10 freerider / freerider pro)

Last edited:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
As a hobby I collect and sharpen higher end folding knives with a Wicked Edge sharpenng system.

Hey, you bike riding knife wielding maniac.
We'll have to talk about knives sometime. I'm not a "collector," but I have more knives than a normal person should have. Like you, I take a lot of pride in my edges. Normal people don't have knives this sharp. Since it's not practical to carry a normal sized knife while riding, but it's often handy to have something while in the wilderness, on EVERY ride I carry a little Spyderco Ladybug with a Böler K390 blade. I could type a lot more about knives, but I don't want to hijack the thread, and it's time to get ready for a ride.
🗡️✌🏼

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Hey, you bike riding knife wielding maniac.
We'll have to talk about knives sometime. I'm not a "collector," but I have more knives than a normal person should have. Like you, I take a lot of pride in my edges. Normal people don't have knives this sharp. Since it's not practical to carry a normal sized knife while riding, but it's often handy to have something while in the wilderness, on EVERY ride I carry a little Spyderco Ladybug with a Böler K390 blade. I could type a lot more about knives, but I don't want to hijack the thread, and it's time to get ready for a ride.
🗡️✌🏼
Ya, I've bought and sold (and mirror edged) a lot of folders over the years Other than a few brands like Benchmade, Spyderco etc, I mostly collect the Chris Reeve brand as this brand has a huge cult type following and many actually increase in value especially, if you buy a 2nd hand but never used "Safe Queen". Most other brands take a 50% hit as soon as you buy one new. Their most famous model is the iconic Sebenza.

Check out this Sebenza model that came out a few years ago in honor of the "Lunar Landing" which is also this models name:

Also, check out the Chris Reeve story: Our Story

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 3.22.02 PM.png

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
20221016_132514.jpg

Crank Bros Mallet E best of both worlds. Easy in, easy out. Miss the clip-in, no problem you'll clip in later. I had only used clipless and yes the learning curve is big. I'm still getting bit but it's getting better. I mainly get nicked when I'm pushing the bike or loading it basically struggling with the bike.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have always used DMR V12 pedals and since owning EMTBs I keep my bikes in the house which means a bit of manoeuvring through 3 doorways etc......................and that is when I am most likely to get zapped by the pedals. Its worse during the warmer months because I am in shorts all the time. I ended up buying pedal covers! It has been a long time since I suffered injury from the pedals during a ride but I would suggest if you are still learning to use them........or just learning to jump etc ..... use some shin pads.
I bought new pedals for my latest new bike and chose Spank Spoon 110s...............besides really loving those pedals I also found I no longer needed pedal covers when bringing the bike in and out of the house etc. The reason is that the pins on these pedals do not have exposed threads. They grip just as well as the (vicious) pins on the DMRs but just rubbing past them does not tear the skin on my shins. The DMR pins are threaded........thats the difference.

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Haha . . Mikerb, the DMR's are like getting snake bitten. I did a 20 mile ride today and within the first 5 min I stopped to answer a text message and I was bitten on the back of my leg right though my long biking pants 😱. Your post just reminded me now to put a band aid over the bite mark.

Last edited:

Mikes56

Aug 30, 2021
CA
My wife and I just did our first ride on the new bikes. I’m staying with the eggbeaters, they’re what I’m used to. I put some flat plastic $15 pedals on her bike. They will be fine while she’s learning. She’s never been on a Mtb before so it’s all new for her and I don’t want to scare her.
After her wreck and 14 stitches, I thought that was the end of us riding together. She’s hanging tough and just told me that she’s having a Vodka Soda tonight to celebrate her getting over her PTSD today lol.

Last edited:

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
My wife and I just did our first ride on the new bikes. I’m staying with the eggbeaters, they’re what I’m used to. I put some flat plastic $15 pedals on her bike. They will be fine while she’s learning. She’s never been on a Mtb before so it’s all new for her and I don’t want to scare her.
After her wreck and 14 stitches, I thought that was the end of us riding together. She’s hanging tough and just told me that she’s having a Vodka Soda tonight to celebrate her getting over her PTSD today lol.
Glad you got your wife the flat pedals. Show her this Allant bike review. He hightlights a few times the stock flat pedals this model comes with. I like this guys reviews. He goes very indepth and to me is somewhat unbiased in his reviews. Probably because he is not getting free bikes to keep and resell from the various bike companies especially the online sold cheapo Chinese brands. It's really sad to see 90% of Youtube ebike reviews are now just the sponsored Chinese brands which have really overtaken the quality brand bike markets now by comping the reviewers free stuff.

The cheapo Chinese brands are easy to spot . . . they are the ones with the flames 🔥🔥🔥 coming out of the battery compartment as they are passing you on the trail or bike paths 🤣🤣🤣

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Also pictured are similar to the stock pedals that came on my Giant Explore. These wavy metal front and back edges can turn your legs into hamburger as easily as the ones with the threaded pics can:

IMG_7302.jpeg

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Also, check out the Chris Reeve story: Our Story
Cool. I didn't know Chris Reeve was from South Africa.
Here's a link showing one I got recently for no other reason that it makes anti-gunners and anti-knifers wet their pants. I don't carry it because I like a pocket clip, so it really doesn't serve any purpose. I might eventually get rid of it because I like to use my knives.

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Cool. I didn't know Chris Reeve was from South Africa.
Here's a link showing one I got recently for no other reason that it makes anti-gunners and anti-knifers wet their pants. I don't carry it because I like a pocket clip, so it really doesn't serve any purpose. I might eventually get rid of it because I like to use my knives.

Sweet. I can just imagine the blade release letting go while in your pocket. You would know when that happens as your voice would suddenly get a lot higher 🤣

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
Crank Bros Mallet E best of both worlds.
In total agreement. Rode with Eggbeaters literally since they first came out and still have them on my analog MTB. With my ebike I found it more difficult to get going when stopped on steep uphill technical and switched to the Mallets. The idea of "get riding and clip in later" is ideal.
No way can I ride flat pedals after 30+ years of being clipped in. I ride road too and my pedal stroke makes excellent used of my quads. I'm out there to exercise as much as have fun so it's important my legs work during the entire rotation of the crank!

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
For many years I used "clipless" (Shimano SPD) pedals on my regular mountain bikes, and I still use them on my road bike. But I've lately been using flat pedals on my Turbo Levo. The ones I currently use are Race Face Ride pedals, which have shallow plastic knobs instead of pins. I bought these because I had had a couple on incidents where I cut up my shin with regular flat pedal pins. Your wife might want to try the Race Face Ride pedals as a safer alternative to pins.

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.03.01 AM.png

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I ride clipless most of the time. I have them fairly loose and I can dab a foot down without thinking about how to release. I like the security one gets from clipless, especially on really bumpy terrain. I put flats on when it’s cold so I can wear warm and waterproof boots. I’ll also wear knee pads that have an extension down the shin so there’s no risk of scraping up a shin (I‘m surprised no one has mentioned this). I guess football shin pads would do a pretty good job of protecting shins. I notice with flats I get far more peddle strikes on the side of the peddle on tracks that are badly rutted or traversing steep slopes that have a vertical edge on one side. People seem to worry about clipless not releasing but I think the bigger advantage of flats is getting back on the peddles is easy. After many years of using clipless, I’m pretty good at finding the right place to clip in first go, but sometimes one misses and this can be a bit of a pain. Neither flats nor clipless are perfect, so it comes down to personal preference but each deserve a good try.

Thinkology

May 21, 2022
Richmond, VA
Time ATAC XC6 or XC8 clipless. I switched from Crank Bros probably 15 years ago on recommendation from a friend and never went back. Easy in/out and always clears the mud. Absolutely trouble free…for me. YMMV of course.

Padge

May 7, 2022
Dublin Ireland
Using SPD for 25 years.
I bought a pair of Shimano GR500 Flat MTB Pedals with some FiveTen shoes for a while but swapped back to the SPD after a few weeks. Less confidence when jumping. More pedal strikes too.
The advantages of SPD far outweigh the one small disadvantage for me as the only issue is getting feet clipped back in when on steep technical (muddy and rooty) trails.

Plus, Shimano's M520 and M540 SPD pedals are very cheap and are indestructible.

Bicyclenut

Jul 9, 2022
Fresno
I've been using Shimano SPD's on my mountain bikes since their inception. They give you so much more control of your bike. Your foot becomes 1 with the crank arm, more control. But don't let that scare you. You must adjust the clip tension to fit your riding style and experience. There is a learning curve. You will need to learn how to dismount in an emergency. in the 32 years I've been using SPD's I can count on 1 hand the times I've crashed and not been able to pull my foot out. Maybe if I was a downhiller, Id get the platform SPD pedal, but still would go with SPD. This is just my opinion and from what I've experienced in my lifetime. If you are on the fence, try both.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I've used Shimano SPDs for years, however, I highly recommend using the SH56 multi-release cleats instead of the SH55 single release cleats. Much easier to get out of.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
Over 30yrs clipped in mostly Shimano. When I tried other clipped in systems, went back to Shimano within a few months.

For new people that’s never used clipped in, it takes a while to get use to them. Some never gets used to them. Whatever system your wife is most comfortable on, is the correct choice.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Just did a post on why I went from flats to clipless:

Expidia

Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Update on my DMR Vault "snakebite" pedals. Today I got the idea to reverse all the pins. The thread ends that stick up are like razors all around the pedal and I was able to reverse each post. now only a smooth stub 1/2 the size of the threaded post is sticking up from the pedal surface. Nicks on my shins and calves even through long pants was getting old. If it ever stops raining around here, I might get to try them out. If I'm still getting nicked I'll remove them completely. I'm not an Enduro type or a jumper, just single tracks.

IMG_7336.jpeg IMG_7335.jpeg

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut
How many of you use clip ins compared to just flat pedals? I took the egg beaters off my regular Mtb and put them on my new Levo.

My wife had a mild crash and one of the small spikes on her flat pedal layed her knee open requiring 14 stitches. After that I kinda want to stay away from flat pedals.
I use doublesided shimano SPD pedals. On one side i put a flat pedal converter (has a face like a flat pedal with short spikes, and holes on the back to mount an spd clip). After a few rides where one unclipped I cranked the release force up high and marked the pedal face on that side with blue sharpie (no problems with unclipping now). I take the converters off when I'm using clipless. The other side is the SPD pedal with regular release force. Most of the time I like the clipless; if I'm going on a real steep, bony trail, I'll use the flat pedals.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Always used SPDs on the trailbike and flats on the DH and pumptrack bike the past 25 or so years.
I see neither a downside for SPD on the trailbike nor an advantage for the flats.
You just need to get used to both and learn how to use them. My GF got into MTB three years ago and I got her SPDs, did some training to get her used to the technique of getting in and out and after "crashing" a few times in stand still situations, she's perfectly fine with them now and easily gets in and out.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
For enduro and EMTB I like platform clipless pedals. Didn't care for the Mallet E as SPD SH-56 have more release angles which I prefer. Not a problem getting in and out once set up. Currently using Nukeproof Horizon CS which are easy to get in and out with good adjustability.

I disagree with others who posted that riding clipped in is not a significant advantage on e-bikes. My personal experience shows you can get more even power assist using clipless pedals during the upstroke.

Another advantage that comes into play is if you do dab one foot down...you can actually keep pedaling with one foot and not lose power delivery from the motor while you you bring the pedal back around for your other foot. I use this little trick more often than I wish I needed. Keeps the forward momentum from dying out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles