Clicking, Ticking sound?

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
I’m getting this clicking/ticking sound from somewhere around my handlebars, when there is movement, like bumpy ground, I can get it to do it when I hold the front brake on and press down but only a few times, I’ve tightened the top bracket up and thought it made a difference on the way to work, but on the way home it seem the same again, I haven’t torqued them up as I have got a torque wrench (recommendation please) it’s sort of like if there was a stress fracture (that’s the sound it makes), any ideas?

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I’m getting this clicking/ticking sound from somewhere around my handlebars, when there is movement, like bumpy ground, I can get it to do it when I hold the front brake on and press down but only a few times, I’ve tightened the top bracket up and thought it made a difference on the way to work, but on the way home it seem the same again, I haven’t torqued them up as I have got a torque wrench (recommendation please) it’s sort of like if there was a stress fracture (that’s the sound it makes), any ideas?
I don’t want to recommend a specific manufacturer, but I’ve bought lots of tools for all sorts of activities over the years, and would say the old adage ‘buy cheep buy twice’ rings true. When it comes to torquing stuff up accuracy is obviously very important, so my recommendation is to buy the best your budget can afford.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Google ‘Pro torque wrench” it’s about £80 quid. Quality bit of kit ?

Ticking noise....check the rotor is not slightly catching on the brake caliper. (On the inside of where it fits on the post mount) if it has been catching they’ll be a tiny silver area where the paint has worn off.

that’s a long shot but worth a looooook ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
When you say you can replicate the noise with the front brake on and pressing down I assume you mean you have the bike stationary.
A "cracking sound is typically 2 dry metal surfaces that are joined but there is some play. My first guess ( assuming the a bove) is that your stem is not properly secured and/or there is some dirt on the fork steerer or on the bars. So first job would be to remove the bars from the stem. Clean the surfaces of the bars and the stem with something like isopropyl and reassemble. When tightening the stem screws do diagonal screws progressively. Try it. If the noise is still there release the stem screws holding it to the steerer ( with the front wheel on the ground to keep the fork from falling). Clean the surfaces and reassemble. The third check would be to drop the fork and check the headset bearings and cups.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
A "cracking sound is typically 2 dry metal surfaces that are joined but there is some play.
That was the way I was thinking, I'll look into doing what you said, I'm not the most confident but I'll check a few YouTube vids and see what I can do. Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles