Childrens E-Balance bike - let the modding begin!

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
So a while back i bought my 3 year old son an Indybike e-balance bike. We go out on loads of walks with the dogs over *Private Land* and i often end up carrying him, combines with him wanting a Motorbike, this seemed like a great option.

The decision to buy one of these was further enforced when my son had a horiffic accident in Jan of this year when he snapped his Femur, almost severing an artery. Subsequently he was in a hip Spiker for 9 weeks and essentially had to learn to walk again. He has a limp now but its reducing with time. Getting him out with us again was super important and for such an outdoors boy it was what he needed. He can ride a normal bike just fine and we use that to build up his muscles again, but those bikes are no good for walks on the *Private Land*.

Link to the bike here : indybikes.co.uk I got it on sale foe £180 which seems a lot, but when you look at the world of e-balance bikes, it really is not.

The bike itself has a 100w motor and runs on a 7 cell Li-Ion battery ran in Series making 24volts. its a 2ah battery so its good for about 75minutes on tarmac, less with more hilly and challenging terrain. It has a twist and go throttle with battery indicator, aluminium frame and drum brake.

The bike itself comes with these terrible white road style tyres, so thats no good off road. They were the first to go and upgraded to some 12" off road tyres and tubes. Instantly making it much better in the mud and hills.

The next thing to address and this is my bigest gripe with ALL kids bikes was the brake. Loads of kids bikes have a drum brake which is hard for little hands to use, they struggle to pul the lever and even if they are strong enough, the brake is generally pretty crap.
Having taken the brake off i saw that the drum itself was threaded onto the wheel axle, so a quick measure with a Calliper tool and a disc adapter was ordered for the grand sum of £5...a 120 disc also ordered to suit.

52883491518_7c3467c1f0_c.jpg

52883204954_97feeb1e39_c.jpg

I then had to have a think about the brake itself, settling on a Shimano MT200, under £30 new with pads and an adjustable lever. this is the important part as it needed to be adjusted as close to the grip as possible for little hands to reach and engage. The hydraulic element was also critical for ease of use...escaping the cable friction.

52882466462_b688fb846c_c.jpg

So where are we now? i'm off to the bike shop today to see if they have any Shimano caliper mounts that might help with bolting to the frame. If not then i'll speak to a welder friend to see if he can weld on some brackets.

Next thing on the order list is a 4ah battery to double the ride time but also provide more peak power for longer. 36v or even 48v might be on the cards but not for a while

Any questions, please let me know... also any tips or suggestions also welcome!

Thanks, Craig

Last edited:

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
i began working on a new foot plate today in Tinkercad as the old ones snapped. Basic to start and make sure it fits but after that we will jazz it up a little with his name and better grips

1683632279833.png

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
So my little one has been using the e-balance bike for a while now and its become a bit tame at 24v.
After a walk this weekend it got super muddy and just ran out of oomph. So i stripped it down and cleaned it all up. While looking at the specs of the motor, its listed as 24v 100w but i have replaced the control unit with one thats capable of taking 48v. So with a spare Bosch 36v compact battery laying about, i hooked it up and hey presto its got an instant power hike.

Whats the consequences of this? well, as the motor is designed for 24v its likely that running 36v is actually going to be more inefficient and produce more heat. I have to buy a bigger and better battery or connect a couple of the drill ones up in Series.

Whats the upside? Well i can 3d print a battery connection terminal, attach it to the bike and i now have 4 1300mah 36v batteries to use rather than the solo 24v 2000mah. i can connect them in series which is easy.

Behold the bodge..but its cheap, works and until it meets its final form, i'm not spending loads of time on it.

1701682721996.png

for ref, i do try to make projects pretty nice, some wiring i made on my mk2 Golf

IMG_20210205_174119 by Laxadams, on Flickr
IMG_20210226_180229 by Laxadams, on Flickr

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I think your brake mod is a good idea 👍 having seen a few kids first bikes without any brakes.
Also seen on some trails, kids electric bikes with what look like power tool batteries fitted for a quick swap over.
IMG_20230325_132722.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
So my little one has been using the e-balance bike for a while now and its become a bit tame at 24v.
After a walk this weekend it got super muddy and just ran out of oomph. So i stripped it down and cleaned it all up. While looking at the specs of the motor, its listed as 24v 100w but i have replaced the control unit with one thats capable of taking 48v. So with a spare Bosch 36v compact battery laying about, i hooked it up and hey presto its got an instant power hike.

Whats the consequences of this? well, as the motor is designed for 24v its likely that running 36v is actually going to be more inefficient and produce more heat. I have to buy a bigger and better battery or connect a couple of the drill ones up in Series.

Whats the upside? Well i can 3d print a battery connection terminal, attach it to the bike and i now have 4 1300mah 36v batteries to use rather than the solo 24v 2000mah. i can connect them in series which is easy.

Behold the bodge..but its cheap, works and until it meets its final form, i'm not spending loads of time on it.

View attachment 130196

for ref, i do try to make projects pretty nice, some wiring i made on my mk2 Golf

IMG_20210205_174119 by Laxadams, on Flickr
IMG_20210226_180229 by Laxadams, on Flickr
Nevermind the balance bike, what engine have you shoehorned into your MK2? 🤔😀

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
Nevermind the balance bike, what engine have you shoehorned into your MK2? 🤔😀
Oh that was a 1.8 20v turbo. Ended up being 240bhp from the original 100. Much fun was had and then I sold it to one of the car raffle companies. That was a great car to learn mechanics on

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
Just a small update today
I have designed some battery holders with some adaptions to allow me to wire in some terminal spades.
I will wire up the batteries in a parallel battery connection. Thsi will mean that the power tool batteries will give the bike 36v and 3000mah of power. The old battery is 24v and 2000mah.

1701967141447.png

when wired they will sit together like this:
1701967168307.png

Size comparison to the old battery which is mostly empty space (7 x 3.5v Li-Ion cells in a row)

1701967205704.png

I've also wired up a front LED headlight that connects straight into one of thepower outlets on the control module. They use very little power.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Also seen on some trails, kids electric bikes with what look like power tool batteries fitted for a quick swap over.
my boy has a hub motor running off a drill battery on his orbea. Bought it from a company called reset bikes. It’s great that he can keep up with me on the climbs. And really good fun when I have to take it over some technical bits for him! And it’s faster than mine because there’s no limiter!

IMG_0172.jpeg

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
Initial test ride was a success. Probably a few mph more speed but gets there quicker.
GPS tests tomorrow maybe to see how they compare

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles