Check your headset. No grease in mine....

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Just a "heads" up. I got a slight front end creak on my new base Decoy 2020. Dropped the forks and there was absolutely no grease in the head set, top or bottom.
A good application of Finish Line's finest and the creak is gone.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
this is an age old common phenomenon in bicycles and motorcycles. I'm guessing it could be an ancient safety thing that has never been reviewed?

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I didn't know it was widespread. I have been self building my mountain bikes since the 1990s and that's the first full bike I have bought since then. Seems like a false economy.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
What’s the best type of grease to use in a headset?
I use high temperature bearing grease. This is grease that is designed not to melt or run. The headset is the only vertical (or near vertical) set of bearings. Gravity as well as seasonal heat will be working to slide that grease down. I always thought that must be why manufacturers never use much grease there, being right above the front tyre.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I use high temperature bearing grease. This is grease that is designed not to melt or run. The headset is the only vertical (or near vertical) set of bearings. Gravity as well as seasonal heat will be working to slide that grease down. I always thought that must be why manufacturers never use much grease there, being right above the front tyre.
I would have thought that a good waterproof grease would be better than high temp?

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Apparently only cheap bikes have headset bearings that need grease....
Anyway, I used marine grease on my cheap bike - because that's what I had in the gun.
Funnily enough the headset works the same as a much more expensive bike now, after $0.05 worth of grease.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Just a "heads" up. I got a slight front end creak on my new base Decoy 2020. Dropped the forks and there was absolutely no grease in the head set, top or bottom.
A good application of Finish Line's finest and the creak is gone.
You mean no grease in the bearings? What did you exactly grease in your headset....? You sure it was not the tension that was wrong, because the fork turns on the bearings...

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
You mean no grease in the bearings? What did you exactly grease in your headset....? You sure it was not the tension that was wrong, because the fork turns on the bearings...

They're cartridge bearings so you can't put grease inside them. It's good practice to pack the contact points of a headset with grease. It reduces friction wear by preventing dust/grit/sand to find its way between the races and the bearings and it prevents water ingress and therefore corrosion / pitting. I normally strip mine twice a year and they last many years.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
They're cartridge bearings so you can't put grease inside them. It's good practice to pack the contact points of a headset with grease. It reduces friction wear by preventing dust/grit/sand to find its way between the races and the bearings and it prevents water ingress and therefore corrosion / pitting. I normally strip mine twice a year and they last many years.

I understand that, do it myself also. BW you can open and put grease inside the headset bearings no problem.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I didn't know that, cheers. On the Decoy's ones the seals look very tight. I will probably FUBAR them if I try to open it.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Anyone replace this headset cover that looks like a volcano? I want to drop my bars when I add a larger fork to the bike, but not sure what top covers will be compatible.

Thanks,
F71953E5-B6A0-45BE-9950-5373D5953849.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles