Changing our forks and shocks on a moustache trail 10

Matt89kelly

Jun 24, 2023
Brescia
I bought my trail 10 when I was still living in the uk and it was perfect with 150mm travel and the long wheel base for stability tearing around the South Downs.

I’ve now moved to north an Italy and would be much better suited to an enduro set up as it’s a lot of down hill (I know, I’m a lucky b**tard!), does any one know if it’s possible to change out the forks and shocks for something with more travel (170+) and possibly even slide into a mullet set up or would this leave me with some sort of Frankenstein’s monster, and the geometry completely out of whack?

I have thought about selling my bike and buying something more suited but I’ve only had it 14 months so not sure I could swallow the monetary loss so easily.

Any recommends are greatly welcomed and thank you in advance!!

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
When I was looking for a new bike some two years ago I also had the Moustache Trail or Game on my list. From that time I understand that the two bikes use the same frame but with different suspension parts.

So you should be able to take the 170 mm fork and shock from the Game and fit them to the Trail.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
As above, it's the same frame. I have the game 8 with 160 rear and 170 front. At the time it's all I could get and it's been faultless on the frame side. Just mulleted mine also with the flip chip.
I have always wondered if another shock would improve it, but I doubt it would.

Matt89kelly

Jun 24, 2023
Brescia
Thanks for the replies! Think I’ll try and custom it to my needs rather than replace it then! Bones, did you ever see any reason why it wouldn’t fit a different shock? If I’m upgrading to a shock with more travel I doubt I’ll go for moustsche’s magic grip if I can help it.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Yes. The original XT microspline hub went tit's up, so I got a cheap DT Swiss hybrid wheel from eBay.
Another advantage is more mud clearance in winter along with it being more playful.
I've just altered the flip chip to drop the back end lower ( back to 29" setting)
Going out soon to see what I can hit with the motor 😱

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
IMG_20230625_123307.jpg

Matt89kelly

Jun 24, 2023
Brescia
It’s the more playful feel I’m wanting to achieve, being able to whip the back end round a bit easier on tight turns.

Still tempted to do some over time and get a canyon torque on as a side piece 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles