Changing my bikes.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Hey. I moved to The Alpujarras in Spain almost 3.5 years ago. I brought my Orange Clockwork with me but found out fairly quickly that for 90% of the trails around here, though it was a lovely bike, it was completely inadequate. I spent a lot of time trying to bulk it up... Rocky 130mm Yaris forks, bar ends, Thudbuster seatpost, fat WTB tyres, Bafang 750w engine + 48v battery and spare to carry.
It gave me access to more distant/higher trails, but the grin was still not there, it was too much like hard work. For both of us. I eventually belatedley came to the conclusion that you really need the proper bike for the particular conditions and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
We had a heart to heart and agreed that despite our best efforts, neither of us were enjoying the relationship so sadly, Nell and I are parting.
However (and not the least because at nearly 70, it's going to be the last MTB I'm ever going to buy), my research led me to Vitus via Rob's YT videos.
Yesterday I went on to the Wiggle dating site and threw a bucketload of cash at the agency for my new partner - an e-sommet 27 VRS Sunset.

Looking forward to the nuptuals. ??

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Mike D. What a great area to be riding in. But at the same age as you I'm puzzled as to why you believe that the new bike will be the last mtb you buy. Do you know something about the longevity of e-bikes that I don't? I fully expect to be still riding emtbs into my 90's, so that is at least five more, and maybe more!

I suppose that if you are content to replace the battery and motor as and when they fail outside warranty, then you will get extra life out of the bike, but what makes you believe that the manufacturers will still be making the spares you need in five years time, let alone 10-20 years?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
@Mike D. What a great area to be riding in. But at the same age as you I'm puzzled as to why you believe that the new bike will be the last mtb you buy. Do you know something about the longevity of e-bikes that I don't? I fully expect to be still riding emtbs into my 90's, so that is at least five more, and maybe more!

I suppose that if you are content to replace the battery and motor as and when they fail outside warranty, then you will get extra life out of the bike, but what makes you believe that the manufacturers will still be making the spares you need in five years time, let alone 10-20 years?
I was thinking more about my own longevity...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles