Chain maintenance

Akemtb

Mar 1, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
Don't use wax type oils in cold weather, not good! Been there done that.
It just builds up on the derailleur cogs and actually stiffens up the chain such that it wont shift properly.
I've tried just about everything out there, mostly because I'll run out and buy whatever I can find wherever I'm at.
A good all around choice is Tri-Flo, and old standard that just works; Its synthetic blend and will attract dirt so you'll have to clean the chain ever once is a while, but definitely stay away from the wax type lubes.
Any light weight chain lubricant is best in cold weather, a dry chain is not your friend especially ebikes I've found.
Sram seems tolerant with less oil, shimano seems to like more, at least in my experience.

Another thing you want to consider in cold weather riding is the grease in your freehub , if it's too thick you'll be free wheeling; the pawls will stick and you'll just spine the peddles. A wait and see approach may be best, if the freehub gives you problems than you'll need service it and pack with some lighter grease. Been there, done that also.

Ride on!

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
How often should I lube my chain? I have some all condition e-bike lube. On the package is written every 300 km but isn't that to little

hix

Oct 21, 2020
Prague, CZ
Me very happy with the combination of three chains, ultrasonic cleaner and paraffin wax.

I rotate my chains after 250-450 km... just when the chain starts to squeak.

(riding in dry conditions though).

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
And how should I clean the chain Everytime I ride?Deep clean it with a chain cleaner or just wipe it down and lube. I tried wiping it down but it's not that clean in the links

hix

Oct 21, 2020
Prague, CZ
And how should I clean the chain Everytime I ride?Deep clean it with a chain cleaner or just wipe it down and lube. I tried wiping it down but it's not that clean in the links

it depends on the riding conditions... after a prolonged wet ride I can imagine the chain could require a rag and lube...

...but when you're riding a dry, dusty roads... just rag if after ~70-120km and lube every ~100-150km...

But I cannot imagine forcing myself to do a chain service every ride...

btw: remember dirt + oil = superb grinding paste

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Its wet season now with upcoming winter.
I don't allways drive in the mud.
20201019_151756.jpg

My chain after a 100km ride

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I just buy another couple of chains and rotate them. Having pretty good results with wax lube all year round, just wipe the chain and apply some more every ride. When too bad, or every 300 miles or so swap with a clean chain.

I have a tub of degreaser in the workshop - chain goes in there for a day, give it a scrub, rinse, dry and lube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles