Chain Life

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I know it’ll depend on a list of factors, but what would be a ball park figure for average chain life on an EMTB ?

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
on my Kenevo - my first chain lasted 900km.... ive heard anything from 200-300 km in verry muddy mucky weather.. to 1500 km at best. so i think on average around 750-1000 is about normal?
then it depends what your changing " regime" is going to be:
changing chains often, to save on your cassette=less miles per chain.
Changing chains with cassette = more miles per chain.
Tim

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Thanks, my friend has a Cube, only had it this last 2 months or so, just over 320k.
He thinks he needs a new one as he’s got a reading of 60 on some kind of chain ware gadget. I thought that mileage was low but listening to your view it could be possible. But he’s been riding in relatively dry conditions ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A number of things impact on chain wear. Not deep cleaning and regularly lubing the chain will shorten its life. Riding in too high a gear and too low cadence will put more stress on all the drivetrain, and riding in muddy conditions will likely increase wear as well. On an E bike additional potential for wear comes from not backing off when changing gear. The chain and sprocket are also more likely to suffer wear when the chain is at tighter angles from chain wheel to sprocket as in the highest and lowest gear cogs especially on 1x 11 and 1x 12 systems. So chain wear is very variable but there is a lot you can do to extend the life of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles