Cassettes and different wheels

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
After a bit of advice please:
so on my Levo HT I run 2 sets of wheels, the original stout set for the road and cycle paths with tyres to suit and the other roval set with Michelin e wilds for the gnarly stuff, I have a 36 tooth chain wheel and have 9 speed 11-36 tooth shimano cassette’s on both. I want to upgrade to 10 speed and I have purchased a shimano M6000 10 speed derailleur and want to run a 11-42 cassette on the roval wheels, the question I have is do I have to use a 10 speed 11-42 cassette on the stout wheels as well or could I use a 11-36 10 speed cassette? I don’t really want to have to adjust the derailleur every time I change wheels.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
After a bit of advice please:
The question I have is do I have to use a 10 speed 11-42 cassette on the stout wheels as well or could I use a 11-36 10 speed cassette? I don’t really want to have to adjust the derailleur every time I change wheels.

Depending on your front chainring size you could get away with the 36T for offroad if you're strong enough. Although many people and the market say you need a large cog rear cassette, others (@Gary for example) are happy with the 11-36T for all terrain, and it keeps the cost down.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Yes that’s the problem, struggling a bit with the 36 on the cassette on some climbs, so wanted to go up to 42 on only the roval wheels, but not the stout.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't exactly have to be strong to run an 11 - 36 offroad. Just not Ebike rider weak.
I run mine with a 36t ring in one of the steepest trail areas in the UK.

Assuming you have a suitable mexh no adjustments are necessary switching between 11-36 and 11-42 cassettes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. I'll rephrase it. You don't exactly have to be strong to ride an 11-36 off road on a normal mountain bike nevermind one with a 250w motor assisting you.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
The question was about cassettes and derailleurs, not how big your dick is ;) for all you know I may be disabled, 94 years old or recovering from a major operation…….

thanks for the input though and you have hopefully answered my question that I can use the same derailleur with 2 different wheels that have 2 different cassettes.(y)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The question was about cassettes and derailleurs, not how big your dick is ;) for all you know I may be disabled, 94 years old or recovering from a major operation…….

thanks for the input though and you have hopefully answered my question that I can use the same derailleur with 2 different wheels that have 2 different cassettes.(y)
You'll just have to remember to tweek the b screw when you swap over.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF @Howz. My comment on strength was in reply to @Jackware 's comment where he tagged me ...
If folk with small (as you seem to see it) dicks want to come storming in all typy and offended by a reply to someone other than themselves that's entirely up to them. ? It won't change what strength (or dick size) they lack.

It's not essential to re adjust the B tension screw each time you swap between the 42 and 36 cassettes. So long as the top jockey adequately clears the 42 and your chain is as short as it can be with the 42 (incl. chain growth) it'll be fine on the 36. Ten speed shifting performance isn't nearly as sensitive to jockey clearance as wide ratio 12 speed.

Ive been swapping between an off road wheelset with 11-36 cassette and a faster off road wheelset for local rides and on/off road commuting with 11-25 cassette on my Eeb for years.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh.. And if you're using two wheelsets I'd advise buying two chains and only ever using the same chain with the same cassette you originally fit it with. This will keep wear rates between chain and cassette equal. With a quick link and quick link pliers it only adds seconds to the time a wheelswap takes and you can clean/degrease/relube the chain you removed at your leisure while it's removed.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
TBF @Howz. My comment on strength was in reply to @Jackware 's comment where he tagged me ...
If folk with small (as you seem to see it) dicks want to come storming in all typy and offended by a reply to someone other than themselves that's entirely up to them. ? It won't change what strength (or dick size) they lack.

It's not essential to re adjust the B tension screw each time you swap between the 42 and 36 cassettes. So long as the top jockey adequately clears the 42 and your chain is as short as it can be with the 42 (incl. chain growth) it'll be fine on the 36. Ten speed shifting performance isn't nearly as sensitive to jockey clearance as wide ratio 12 speed.

Ive been swapping between an off road wheelset with 11-36 cassette and a faster off road wheelset for local rides and on/off road commuting with 11-25 cassette on my Eeb for years.

thanks for that ?? It was this ride that nearly killed me ?

19AB68F8-B570-42B2-A6ED-FF9A5F9FABA4.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles