Cassette confusion

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
My son has a Haibike allmtn X2.5, it's a special, (read cheap), for the Italian market. 11 speed
The chain is wearing, just at 0.5%, and some teeth are bent on the cassette.

so 1. I'm trying to determine what chain I should buy,
but 2. I'd like to know which cassette he has.

The cassette clearly states it is a CS-M5100, Deore, of which there are 2 versions.
But when I count the teeth, the sprockets do not match with either of the versions on the website.

Can someone explain? And if the teeth don't match either version shown on the Shimano website, does that mean I will have to order the sprockets separately and make the cassette up myself?

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
It does help, you're right, it is just the lock ring.
I have just taken the wheel off and I can see much better now, they read

51C, 45G, 39C, 33B, 28G, 24T, 21L, 18G, 15T, 13C, 11S
I must have miscounted when it was on the bike. So 11-51T

Do the letters have any significance?
The smaller, individual sprockets move slightly, is this normal?

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
And the chain? Do I just look up the cassette on the Shimano website and then look up the "series line-up"
CN-HG601-11
Is there an easy way of knowing how many links? Or do I need to count them?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
It looks like you have 11-51t 11sp cassette, you can replace it with Deore-SLX-XT-XTR depending on availability and your budget. For the chain look for cheapest 11sp chain which have same or more links and then you shorten it to suit your drivetrain, easiest way is by comparing length side-by-side with old chain ... All sprockets should not move on freehub body, your cassette may not be tightened enough, it should be tight to 40Nm with a bit of grease on lock-nut thread.

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
It looks like you have 11-51t 11sp cassette, you can replace it with Deore-SLX-XT-XTR depending on availability and your budget. For the chain look for cheapest 11sp chain which have same or more links and then you shorten it to suit your drivetrain, easiest way is by comparing length side-by-side with old chain ... All sprockets should not move on freehub body, your cassette may not be tightened enough, it should be tight to 40Nm with a bit of grease on lock-nut thread.
Do you get greater longevity with a higher price? It looks like the CS-LG600 isn't that much more expensive and it's designed for e-bikes.

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Not (necessarily). With higher price you will mostly only get lighter components... But since there is a shortage of components (the cheaper the component less likely it will be in stock) you may have to pay a bit more for what's available to get you back on trails ...

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not (necessarily). With higher price you will mostly only get lighter components... But since there is a shortage of components (the cheaper the component less likely it will be in stock) you may easily pay a bit more for what's available to get you back on trails ...
a cassette with mostly steel sprockets will last better on an EMTB.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
It looks like the CS-LG600 isn't that much more expensive and it's designed for e-bikes.
That is a Link Glide cassette which is not compatible with your HG (Hyper Glide) system. Yes the Link Glide are said to be more durable and individual components are cheaper, but to use Link Glide you will need not just a cassette but derailleur, shifter, chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles