Canadian duty rate on ebikes?

paulcanadian

Aug 5, 2022
Bragg Creek, Canada
I am looking at buying an ebike from Europe, but am worried about duty. Normal bicycles (whole bike) are tariffed at 13% + 5% PST. But ebikes ship under a motorcycle code, so may not get the same duty. Can anyone confirm what the duty rate is on an ebike import into Canada?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Why not buy locally and enjoy all the benefits that come with that. Price, delivery, warranty, service, support, etc.

It may not always be possible but buying abroad or online can be complicated, sometimes. Personally, I like to support my LBSs when possible.

paulcanadian

Aug 5, 2022
Bragg Creek, Canada
I would buy locally, but I am looking for my unicorn bike. Anything local either costs too much for the spec (ie Trek), or has a small battery (<700), a motor I don’t want (Rocky, Giant), or geo that I don’t like (Orbea, Norco). I’m quite picky!
Was going to grab a SCOR from my LBS, but prices just jacked up by a grand for 2023. So I’m looking at the Pole Voima. $10,000 cad for a bike that checks all the boxes.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Prices have definitely gone up and availability has gone down. Hopefully you find something that checks all the boxes. I remember that it was a little easier a few years ago. 🤨

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles