Levo Gen 3 Can the new MASTERMIND TCU be added to base model LEVOs?

RodneyH

May 28, 2023
Orange County
I got a new base Carbon levo and have been in process of building it up (upgrading) and was able to obtain a new Mastermind TCU from a member of a different forum. He says that he bought it legitimately from a specialized dealer where he lives (in a different state than me). He also claims that his body added it to his Levo in the past as well, without issues. There is info out there on youtube and other forums where people have switched them out (yes, I have reached out to those people, but haven't gotten replies). The one I have, says that it needs to be updated, yet for some reason it wont synch to my bike, probably because it has never been synched before the update was issued? Anyway, I asked my local dealer (who is owned by Specialized, so I expect the get the "corporate" line) and of course they tell me that it can't be upgraded, that the mastermind is linked to a certain bike or you have to have a certain bike to be able to use it properly. I was hoping that they could just hook it up to their computer, download any updates and then throw it on my bike and have it work.

Has anyone done this ? My little brother lives in a different area and uses a different dealer (not owned by Specialized) and has purchased many S-works bikes from him in the past and has a good relationship with him. He is currently getting his S-works Levo motor warranted and casually asked him if I could add the matermind to my base Levo, and he seemed pretty confident that it can and to bring it in. That being said, he lives a ways a way so i'd rather not spend a ton of time getting everything over there only to have it not work.

Does anyone have any experience or inside knowledge on the topic?

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Months ago I bought the standard TCU and replaced the Mastermind. With the help of the dealer, who has to register it to the bike, I can now exchange one for the other without any problems.
So I would tell you that the upgrade is certainly possible with the help of your LBS

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
And you have G3 with latest software and are using TCU Mastermind on the bike today?

downduro

Mar 7, 2023
Oslo, Norway
Have the same base Carbon Levo which I upgraded very nicely, only missing thing is Mastermind TCU. Anyone found any upgrade options for TCU or is it just not possible at all? (ebike field for Garmin works very well though, just would be clean to have integrated display as well)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles