• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Can I use Specialized app once Levociraptor or Speedbox is installed?

Superdad

Aug 2, 2024
California
Hi:
First post here after months of lurking. ;)
Im 62, been riding all my life—and dirt since the early 80s—but with back issues and living up in the mountains I almost gave up. Until tried a friend’—and then bought—a Turbo Levo Comp Carbon (new on sale at my LBS for just $6K) a month ago.
It is magic (especially after putting on 16-deg. SQ Lab bars and dialing in my cockpit) but since my every other morning workout rides are a mix of road and dirt—with plenty of climbs and descents—I hit the dreaded 20mph assist turn-off and wow does the bike get heavy at the most inopportune moments!

I’ve read about the various available de-restrict systems—Speedbox, Pear Tune, and Levocirator (not interested in the planetary gear solutions as those completely goof the speedo and odometer)—and the Gen3 Levociraptor seems the ticket and is available and supported in the US.

So here is my question:
I know that BLEvo and the Levociraptor app add some control and functionality, but can I choose to stick with the Specialized app for day to day usage, or is that a total no-no resulting in Specialized instantly knowing I have a de-restrict hack plugged in?

The thing is, call me crazy, I really like the interface simplicity, and having the turning controls, ride tracking data, and mapping all integrated is rather nice and clean. Plus I already have a couple dozen rides logged and named and am not keen on loosing all that.
I know a lot of folks subscribe to other ride tracking apps or have Garmins and whatno, but I want to keep things simple for a while and just ride and log my rides without any cyber-fuss (I grew up in tech but like it less as I grow older… o_O).

So can some of you explain to me—in the context of Levocirapto—what apps I can and can’t use, and what apps are required for setting the limits (and maybe wheelsize changes if I do build up a set of 29/29 road/gravel wheels with narrower rims/tires—these 2.6” Butchers are not going to last long on the tarmac and the 30mm rims advise against less than 2.3” runber.)

Lastly, I might as well ask for current opinion—but don’t want to lose sight of the above Qs:
Will the Spesh dealer know that I had a de-restrict box installed? (Of course removing it before bringing the bike in for warranty service.)
The USA Levociraptor sales guy claims Spesh won’t know, yet he admitted that‘s just what he’d been told—and he didn’t have a clue about my software questions and told me to email their tech.
I know there are other threads here regarding the whole dealer detection/warranty issue. But I’ve yet to read real consensus on the matter.

Thanks all. Ride on.
—Alex C.
IMG_6736.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles