Can I put a Bosch Gen 4 motor in my gen 3 bike?

cablepuller1

Feb 5, 2021
GB
Hi,

Looks like my bosch performance line cx gen 3 is knackered and out of warranty, would a gen 4 motor fit in my bike or are all the mounts and connectors different

TIA
20210404_124200.jpg

cablepuller1

Feb 5, 2021
GB
Thanks, will let you know, warrants has just run out so going LBS first, it's an electronic problem getting 500/503/502 errors, switches on flashes up then switches off, then sometimes switches on okay but no speed, speed sensor seems okay

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Thanks, will let you know, warrants has just run out so going LBS first, it's an electronic problem getting 500/503/502 errors, switches on flashes up then switches off, then sometimes switches on okay but no speed, speed sensor seems okay
It sounds like it’s got water on the circuit board, if you want any chance of saving it, don’t switch it on again! Especially after being upside down (pcb is at the top). Motor needs stripping and drying if you suspect water could have got in there. Get a warranty decision before opening motor but don’t take too long!

cablepuller1

Feb 5, 2021
GB
It sounds like it’s got water on the circuit board, if you want any chance of saving it, don’t switch it on again! Especially after being upside down (pcb is at the top). Motor needs stripping and drying if you suspect water could have got in there. Get a warranty decision before opening motor but don’t take too long!
Thanks for info, if its the board is it a write off

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Given that the newer motors are smaller than the old ones, would it be possible to engineer an adapter bracket? Are there published drawings of the mounting arrangements?

Not necessarily for this instance, but to keep things going if the supply of Gen2 motors dies up.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
It would be simple, but by the time your battery is 8 years old and you pay £900 for a gen 4 motor, plus all the agro of fitting it. Would it really be worth it? In a few years time, ebikes with frame mount batteries will look like penny farthings the speed things are developing. Also, we are hoping to develop a fix for anyone who has sentimental value in their old bike and really wants to keep it ??

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham
It would be simple, but by the time your battery is 8 years old and you pay £900 for a gen 4 motor, plus all the agro of fitting it. Would it really be worth it? In a few years time, ebikes with frame mount batteries will look like penny farthings the speed things are developing. Also, we are hoping to develop a fix for anyone who has sentimental value in their old bike and really wants to keep it ??

This is absolutely true.

I have a 2017 cube 160 travel ebike, external battery. It looks soooo old compared to the modern bikes.

But then I look soooo old compared to most mountain bikers so it suits me.

If i hadnt wrecked and scratched and crashed it myself (which i have) I still dont think it would be worth much, it just looks like yesterdays technology.

As it is it looks like yesterdays technology thats been ridden and maintained by an idiot.

I dont believe in internal routing of cables. All Hail Monster Tape!!

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I cant believe no one hasnt created a adapter to put the new motor in
We have been looking at this. We made several brackets but as each bike is different and crank alignment, pedal height, chainring alignment and aesthetics all have to be taken into account, it was never worth the trouble and time. :confused:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
How can you recondition it if you can't fix it?

Not trying to be a dick, just a genuine question.
we recondition working motors that we buy and keep to offer people if we can't fix their motor. Then we normally offer a part exchange on their motor, strip it for any usable parts and recycle/scrap whats left.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
we recondition working motors that we buy and keep to offer people if we can't fix their motor. Then we normally offer a part exchange on their motor, strip it for any usable parts and recycle/scrap whats left.

Ah, gotcha. So you make a complete reconditioned motor from several other motors, rather than reconditioning just a single, 'non-repairable' motor (which was what threw me).

Cheers.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Nope, we buy a motor that may have a bearing failed or no problem at all, but we have to give it a full overhaul just for piece of mind. We try not to mix and match motor parts unless absolutely necessary.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Nope, we buy a motor that may have a bearing failed or no problem at all

We try not to mix and match motor parts unless absolutely necessary.

OK so you do a bit of both then.

It's not a problem, I'm sure glad you guys are around. Was just trying to work out how you got 'reconditioned' motors out of 'unfixable' ones, thats all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles