Calling any technical Google/Android users - Nav's!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I'm looking to replace my knackered iPhone X with an Android phone for off-line navigation (instead of a dedicated nav device).

I was thinking of a Samsung M30S (6000mAH battery) with Komoot/other app. I'll be disabling all of the standard/stock apps and background sync/tasks which use up battery.

Essentially I want:
- Offline navigation - for longish distances - 60miles+/10hours+
- Accurate GPS (GLONASS/Galileo) + Barometric Altimeter

Has anyone done this and can you achieve decent battery life from it; or do you run out of battery after a couple of hours?

Cheers

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I'm looking to replace my knackered iPhone X with an Android phone for off-line navigation (instead of a dedicated nav device).

I was thinking of a Samsung M30S (6000mAH battery) with Komoot/other app. I'll be disabling all of the standard/stock apps and background sync/tasks which use up battery.

Essentially I want:
- Offline navigation - for longish distances - 60miles+/10hours+
- Accurate GPS (GLONASS/Galileo) + Barometric Altimeter

Has anyone done this and can you achieve decent battery life from it; or do you run out of battery after a couple of hours?

Cheers
10+hours sounds very optimistic indeed. The GPS running will clearly take extra current, but the biggest battery killer is always the screen, so turn down the brightness (difficult when using it during the day), use dark mode if available (assumes OLED display), and allow the screen to go to sleep. I have no idea how long dedicated GPS units, e.g. from Garmin last, perhaps someone could pitch in on that.

I'm not up to date with the plethora of mobile models, but here's a google-translated article, which may be of interest:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I dont think you'll get 10 hours run time with the screen on. coupled with the screen not being easy to see in super bright sunlight.

A dedicated garmin is not that expensive, and is probably the best option IMO. it'll run for ~15-20hours with the screen on and perfectly readable in bright sunlight.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I dont think you'll get 10 hours run time with the screen on. coupled with the screen not being easy to see in super bright sunlight.

A dedicated garmin is not that expensive, and is probably the best option IMO. it'll run for ~15 hours with the screen on and perfectly readable in bright sunlight.

OK thanks, thought that would be the case cheers

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Maybe something like this might suit your needs.
Garmins are the leaders but they can be very expensive. I use a Garmin but only because I managed to get a secondhand Edge 810 at a bargain price but if I was looking for a new device I think this is good value for money especially because maps can be downloaded for free and it has ant+ connection as well as bluetooth which means it will connect to anything. The other alternative is an external bluetooth receiver connected to the phone. Units such as the Qstarz have around a 20 hour battery life and this takes the strain off your phones battery by disabling the internal GPS. I used tis system for years for monitoring my laps at motocross as these units are also more accurate than internal GPS but it does get complicated as you need a 3rd party app to connect the external GPS and disable the internal but once set up is quite easy to use ?‍♂️

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I use an old Android phone with everything turned off except location in a frame top bag for OS map nav and connect it to a powerbank stored in the bag. You also need to download an app that keeps the screen on permanently, and turn off screen rotation.

IMG_20190815_201945.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles