Broken bearing casing

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
If it’s steel and you have access to a welder then strike up on the race a couple of times at 180 deg around it’s circumference.
The heat input will cause it to expand and it will drop off.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I cant tell from your description what is stuck?

Is it the bearing (2 on diagram) stuck in the lower headset cup (3 on the diagram) , or the lower headset cup stuck in the frame?

either way it should be possible to knock the stuck part out with a drift and hammer. I swapped the headset in my wild fs for an anglset and just knocked the lower headset cup out with a hammer and a socket extension bar acting as a drift. It came out easily enough. Just place the drift at different points around the circumference of the cup from inside the headtube and tap around the circumference, and it will start to move out.

1614762680910.png

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I have this blind puller tool & it's very effective. Not sure it would be suitable for your circs but one to consider if you can make it work.

BBiSXTBc.jpg large.jpg

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Thanks for the reply mate. Unfortunately, it is a carbon frame so no dice with the heating idea.
Ah sorry I thought your race was stuck on the forks.
If it’s stuck in the frame and you can’t get on it with a punch/drift/puller etc then a Dremmel will cut it out......carefully

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi Mteam, It is the upper headset cup. Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far

Just knock it out using a long'ish drift and a hammer, just lightly tap round the inside edge of the cup and it should come out quite easily. I use a socket set extension bar as a drift. you dont need to whack it hard, just tap round the edge of the cup from inside the headtube.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Just knock it out using a long'ish drift and a hammer, just lightly tap round the inside edge of the cup and it should come out quite easily. I use a socket set extension bar as a drift. you dont need to whack it hard, just tap round the edge of the cup from inside the headtube.
Or if you don't own an extension bar any long metal item will do as long as it makes good contact - ie not a rounded surface. There may be just two areas of the headtube that don't support the bearing where you can tap on the bearing cup directly, just alternate between the two, tapping GENTLY so you don't gouge the carbon.

1614768419204.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles