Brake Pads question...

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I have 2020 Rail 9.7. Looking to replace the brake pads. Are all Shimano pads for mtb's the same? I was under the assumption they were. Also, are there organic pads with fins available anywhere? And...as long as I look stupid, are fins necessary? I like the idea behind them for dissipating heat, just not certain they'd fit my stock calipers.

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland
I think you have Shimano MT520 brakes on your Rail 9.7. Those are brakes with 4 pistons that require the right pads.
Shimano have different types of brake pads, so you need to buy the right ones or they won't work. For instance, pads for 2-piston brakes are no good.
They offer different versions that'll work for you:
- D01S (Resin/organic)
- D02S (Sintered)
- D03S (Resin/organic)
- H03A (Resin/organic, with fins)

And there are probably more. Also, other companies offer compatible pads, Swissstop, BBB, Galfer etc. Just make sure they have the same shape.

Sintered pads last longer and have more braking power, but they can be noisier (especially in the wet).
I always buy the sintered D02S, I've tried the ones with fins but didn't feel any noticable difference except a hefty surcharge. So no, in my opinion the fins aren't worth it...

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland
The pads are on plates (usually made of steel) and you don't want to wear them so far down that you're braking with the plates (results in a lot of noise, little braking power and you could ruin your brake discs). So I check every now and then how much of the pads is left. If the thickness is less than about 1mm, I replace the pads.
Also, sometimes a pad may not wear down evenly, so if you look from the top it seems like there's enough thickness left while there isn't at the bottom or vice versa.
And the brake pads on my front brake wear quicker (on downhills there's more weight on the front and the front brake does roughly 70% of the braking), so I end up replacing them more often.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I think you have Shimano MT520 brakes on your Rail 9.7. Those are brakes with 4 pistons that require the right pads.
Shimano have different types of brake pads, so you need to buy the right ones or they won't work. For instance, pads for 2-piston brakes are no good.
- D01S (Resin/organic)
- D02S (Sintered)
- D03S (Resin/organic)

And there are probably more. Also, other companies offer compatible pads, Swissstop, BBB, Galfer etc. Just make sure they have the same shape.

Sintered pads last longer and have more braking power, but they can be noisier (especially in the wet).
I always buy the sintered D02S, I've tried the ones with fins but didn't feel any noticable difference except a hefty surcharge. So no, in my opinion the fins aren't worth it...

Awesome...very much appreciated.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
>>
- D01S (Resin/organic)
- D02S (Sintered)
- D03S (Resin/organic)
<<<<

would these part numbers fit the rail 7's as well?

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland
>>
- D01S (Resin/organic)
- D02S (Sintered)
- D03S (Resin/organic)
<<<<

would these part numbers fit the rail 7's as well?

Yes! I have a Rail 7 too. It comes with Shimano MT520 brakes, so those brake pads fit!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles