Rail (625Wh) Bottom Shock Bearing Removal

needbb

Jul 2, 2024
California
One of the 6800 bearings in the bottom shock mount failed with less than 1000 miles on my Rail 9.7. Given the linkage isn't flat here I had to purchase a blind bearing extractor. Sadly, the bearing seems stuck as the extractor is coming out before the bearing after some hard hits with a large mallet.. Any ideas?

PXL_20240804_175504209.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
One of the 6800 bearings in the bottom shock mount failed with less than 1000 miles on my Rail 9.7. Given the linkage isn't flat here I had to purchase a blind bearing extractor. Sadly, the bearing seems stuck as the extractor is coming out before the bearing after some hard hits with a large mallet.. Any ideas?

View attachment 144825
firstly check to see if there is a shoulder/stop for the bearing either on the inner or outer end..............once you then know whether the bearing is pressed in from the outside or the inside there seems to be plenty of room to use a pin drift to hit each bearing out.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I can't tell exactly what your "extractor" is, but I'm assuming it's a slide hammer. Throw out whatever the contraption is that's supposed to grab the bearing. Now stick the all-thread through the bearing hole, stick a washer in there, and then a nut. Slam that bįtçh outta there!

Or you can tap the bearing out from the opposite side. Stick your all-thread through the other bearing, screw a nut on it, stick a washer over that, and now you can tap the bearing out from the other side. Easy peasy.

Rarely are these fancy-pants tools needed for general maintenance. Manufacturers like you to THINK they are so they can make a few extra bucks. And if the specialty tools are made by unskilled laborers using shoddy materials in third-world countries, then you're actually worse off than if you made your own tool from whatever you have laying about in the garage.

needbb

Jul 2, 2024
California
The bearing on the Rail needs to be pressed in from the outside. The blind extractor grabs the inside of the bearing and I am trying to hammer this out from the opposite side. I hit it with a lot of force but it didn't move so I am not sure if Trek uses retaining compound and I need to heat it up.

This is what I am hammering:

PXL_20240804_202549358.jpg

needbb

Jul 2, 2024
California
I am still struggling with this bearing. Has anyone ever removed these bearings from a Rail and is there any tricks?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I would install the extractor the other way round so that it cannot slip off the bearing when you hit it. Use a socket extension or similar if the thread isn't long enough to hit safely without risking damaging the frame. if you don't feel that would work for you, then your next best choice is to tighten the extractor more than you think it needs. After that, you could try heating the mount carefully with a heat gun or use a freezing spray on the bearing.

It will just be a tight bearing with possibly a little electrolytic corrosion sticking it in, it won't be adhered into the frame, I routinely add a smear of grease round new bearings to avoid this problem recurring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles