Bosch walk mode uses how much battery?

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hi all, am planning a big loop ride with some big climbing to avoid expensive lifts at St Moritz
Depending upon what service I use it says climb is anything between 2020m and 2720m (I suspect it's probably something like 2200hm in total max)
About 500hm of that is 100% not rideable, I'm actually going against the regular ride direction but it's not a bike path it's a walking path so ok to "walk" up with my ebike
Question is how much battery will the Bosch CX Gen4 use in Walk mode? As if it won't use much then that's 500hm less I can calculate on the climb using more battery! meaning 1500-1600m climb which I might be able to make happen if I'm careful with the battery usage.
Thanks for any tips, here's the link to the route on Trailforks in case that helps (I hope it's public...)
https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/view/522683/
I know the trails btw except the one black climb to link up across to the trail towards the end of the valley
Worst case I can pay to use a lift to skip 475m of climbing

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
I think @Bummers says it all. And... your choice of course... but I agree with @B1rdie. It is really tiring and annoying to ride more than 20-30 m in walk mode, at least with my Trek Powerfly.

I sometime use walk mode but the button is in such a difficult position that is really difficult to maintain it pressed on a steep hill for more than a few seconds while pushing the ebike.

Hiltix

Mar 28, 2023
Bern, Switzerland
With 750 Wh it should bi ok. I've done tours this lengt in the Alps using walkmode 2-3h. Walkmode consumes little Power.

PS: ... of course, that you are in good shape and have experience in the mountains.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Thanks all. Yeah I spend a lot of time in the mountains here in Switzerland just not used walk mode really and I considered a very steep hiking trail to link up some further trail. Have since decided it might not be doable even with walk mode.

Thanks all

Hiltix

Mar 28, 2023
Bern, Switzerland
This one very steep ascent to Fuorcla Crap Alf is a hiking trail with difficulty level T3. With a maximum gradient of 37%, you can assume that this is not easy - but with experience it should be doable. A hard piece of work for 400 m up.

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
Fun fact:

700 Wh is the energy required to raise an ebike (considering 27 kg with accessories) + the rider (90 kg including clothes etc.) by approx 2.200 m.

Obviously this doesn't account for 1) frictions (to be added) and 2) the energy added by the person pedalling (to be subtracted). This is just to show that fighting gravity has a pretty strong impact on the range.

Last edited:

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
Walk mode is a huuuuuuge batterty saver compared to riding on soft/boggy ground because the real energy drainer is the rolling resistance. Done a fair bit of long loop Welsh mountain riding and I routinely dismount and push on hard-pedal boggy stuff because it's just not worth the joyless joules required to do it that you can save to use in flow elsewhere. Hard ground is a different story where you have roughly equal rolling resistance so you might as well thrash it through (as long as you have enough mars bars to top up your leg batteries:)

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Walk mode is a huuuuuuge batterty saver compared to riding on soft/boggy ground because the real energy drainer is the rolling resistance. Done a fair bit of long loop Welsh mountain riding and I routinely dismount and push on hard-pedal boggy stuff because it's just not worth the joyless joules required to do it that you can save to use in flow elsewhere. Hard ground is a different story where you have roughly equal rolling resistance so you might as well thrash it through (as long as you have enough mars bars to top up your leg batteries:)
Makes the most sense! I did a ride that had a lot of pushing the e bike uphill and at the time I did not know the 'walk assist' feature even existed. What a life saver learning to use this feature has been! In a 2 or 3 hour ride I may use it 1-3 x for 10' 25' so I'm not too concerned about the battery drain :cool:

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
The walk mode on my Rail 9.8 doesn't consume any electrons because it doesn't really work and I can''t use it. I think it is a common problem with smart system bikes that use a remote speed sensor.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
The walk mode on my Rail 9.8 doesn't consume any electrons because it doesn't really work and I can''t use it. I think it is a common problem with smart system bikes that use a remote speed sensor.
It really isn't. In the cube fb group I'm in with thousands of members with the Bosch smart system I've not seen any complaints about this nor experienced it myself. Cracked motor mounts... Now that's another story🙈

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
It really isn't. In the cube fb group I'm in with thousands of members with the Bosch smart system I've not seen any complaints about this nor experienced it myself. Cracked motor mounts... Now that's another story🙈
Just something I read elsewhere on emtb, and a solution was switching to a rim magnet and the sensor in the motor. I thought about gluing a strong RE magnet inside the tire and switching to the motor sensor.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Just something I read elsewhere on emtb, and a solution was switching to a rim magnet and the sensor in the motor. I thought about gluing a strong RE magnet inside the tire and switching to the motor sensor.
Honestly never had any issues with it personally. Could be more software related, is your flow app up to date?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
The issue is independent of the flow app. I updated everything recently when Bosch updated the Diagnostic 3 program. That update, by the way, allows system 2 bikes to be analyzed with Diagnostic 3 and remote configuration changes. I also ran the component test on the speed sensor, no issue.
I have seen the issue on a couple other rail 9.8, so I am submitting a warranty with Trek.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
That's a lot of vert mtrs I'm not sure you will make it. Max I've done is 1700 m vert. 750wh battery. Is pay for the lift as yourl likely run out of battery. He'll you will be close with the lift.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles