Bosch Performance CX motor noise?

vvanders

Jun 5, 2022
US
Recently upgraded to a Powerfly 9 FS(which is awesome!), one thing that I wasn't expecting relative to our other Bosch e-bikes is how noisy the Performance CX motor is. Even on the first couple levels of assist it sounds like an angry RC car. Easily louder than the tire noise on either pavement or gravel.

On our other bikes with the standard Bosch are near silent except at full output levels, is that noise level normal?

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
When I had Smart Sam tyres on, almost no noise.

With Eddy Current and (likely a mistake) Tannus tube inserts, massive high-pitched struggling-to-exist noise.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My PF5 cx motor is noticeably louder than the free wheel hub or tires (on the road). The sound becomes un-noticeable after I ride for several minutes …but it’s still there.
My Rail 9.7 (2020) is a different story. It’s been quiet from the beginning and is still quiet today even though I’ve abused it (submerged several times, smashed, mudd, drops, …blah blah blah) and I’m reaching 15k kms in the past 3 years. The PF5 HT has a tenth of the kms and a fraction of the abuse, but it’s motor is noisy …I can’t explain it. I’m hoping that the cx motor, on the PF5 HT needs some more “breaking-in”.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles