Bosch Gen 2 CX Bearings question

kooly

Apr 29, 2020
Australia
Hi all. I have a 2019 Gen2 performance CX Cube hybrid and im wanting to protect the bearings a little. Has anybody used the 'Mudstop' and the 'Crankshaft seal' from from the Uk .. be good to get any feedback on wether its worth the money...cheers ... also any info on chain suck would be great..its really really annoying... MudStop "Bosch bearing protection" -

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I have used the mud stop and recon it made little difference. My motors still went tits up at less than 1k miles. Thankfully still covered by the warranty. Personally if the motor was no longer covered I would regularly take the motor apart and regrease the bearings.
Regarding chain suck, the system on my mustache bike works well as it guides the chain of the chainring very well. Only it wears out quickly and its about £35 a pop. That system suits my bikes design with a low pivot rear triangle. My mates lapierre system works well for a higher pivot bike.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve just done my yearly service on my Cube with Bosch Gen 2

I removed old bearing seal and replaced with new one. Also applied Bosch green tacky grease under the seal.

2nd thing I did was remove the old felt seal in drive shaft and replaced with new one together with new circlip.

I do all of the above each time I replace a chain.
It is important to replace the front 15t sprocket at the same time you replace your chain or you will get terrible chain suck. Because the front chainring is so small, it wears out very quickly. It will just not sit well with a new chain and won’t let it go.

If you can, just simply flip the old chain ring over to the other side and you will get double the life out of it but they are fairly cheap to replace.

below is the bearing seal kit...
They have them on Amazon.

FEBEBBF5-E405-4527-8E51-E7D30E061AFF.png

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Here are a couple of photos, one showing the new grease behind the new seal and the other showing the new chain ring with new seals underneath (felt crankshaft seal and plastic main bearing seal. When you push the new plastic seal in, surplus grease will ooze out. Just wipe it away surplus before attaching new chainring. Now my bike is protected for another year of muddy riding. The green Bosch tacky grease is not cheap but it is amazing stuff. I also put a bit of grease behind the felt seal and around its edges. Then finally a new metal circlip goes on to hold it in place.

6FDAFAF4-B0B5-428D-B33B-30CCE5B639FF.jpeg
2AA7C2A7-A827-44D9-8A99-5F76F645F846.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles