Bosch disappointment

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I just a YouTube video about the new Bosch 2022 display and control system, then the bombshell was dropped, conveniently it isn’t compatible with the 2020 gen 4 motor, is it just a ploy to make people buy a new bike to take advantage of the new system, just wondering what other people think about it, I for one am not going to buy a new bike because my bike isn’t old.

Josepma

Oct 13, 2020
Barcelona
I just a YouTube video about the new Bosch 2022 display and control system, then the bombshell was dropped, conveniently it isn’t compatible with the 2020 gen 4 motor, is it just a ploy to make people buy a new bike to take advantage of the new system, just wondering what other people think about it, I for one am not going to buy a new bike because my bike isn’t old.

Call me if you want I guess, but Bosch plans to sell their products to those who have an old bike and not a new one, so that's normal.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I guess there comes a point when a manufacturer moves the goalposts in terms of new design so much that it just isn't economically viable to continue making it compatible with legacy systems. That happens with all manner of things, not just emtbs.

The new system offers me virtually zilch I want over my 2021 Gen4 anyway so I'm not in the slightest bit bothered, but I can see why some users want the latest and greatest. But hey, thats coming from someone who is pretty happy with their Purion :)

TEE

Feb 21, 2021
Germany
Yep any new 2022 hardware wont be compatible with the old gen4 system because of a new can bus.
Bosch said its due to the increase of data that has to be transmitted and the old bus isnt able to do so.
But besides of that there is nothing new except for the greater battery.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN

Have you thought about filing a complaint against Bosch and demand compensation for your disappointment?

There are many of us who continue riding our bikes despite new models keep popping up every year. You are not alone. We can unite and fight against these evil commercial companies.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Yep any new 2022 hardware wont be compatible with the old gen4 system because of a new can bus.

Yep and tbf CanBus isn't exactly a new technology on vehicles so it's not like Bosch have deliberately started using it just to be difficult.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I ride a 2020 Whyte E150-RS and I’ll have it for a long time. I’m not concerned about connectivity to my phone or fancy apps to finitely tune my ride….I’m not that good a rider to notice the difference anyway. But what I can’t fathom is that there is room for a bigger battery in the down tube so why can’t Bosch offer a 1k watt/hr battery to fit a gen4 system. Where I ride the ht gain is all ways around the 1000m and o could sometimes use a little extra battery capacity. I think Bosch are missing out on not offering a battery upgrade only to owners of gen4 systems……
Only IMO.

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
The only thing that i find better in the new system is the new purion.
Personally i'm not concerned about all the new stuff since i bought a new ebike this year.
But generally i dont understand what bosch is doing - running 2 cx systems for a while?
No dual battery and only one big 750wh battery. (could offer 250/500/750 in the same
form factor to go lighter)
Maybe they will fix this next year with a new system :p

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
There's really absolutely no reason to be dissapointed about it.

You can't expect a company to stick to the old hardware restrictions while innovating and moving forward. The way the communication layer on these work you can't always make them backwards compatible

Other than a slightly bigger battery there's currently zero new features on the new system over my current Kiox, and my bike is 18 months old.
It's still the same bike I bought, it still does the same thing.

I don't know why people feel so cheated. If you bought a new car this year I can guarantee one next year will be out with something new and you can't just update your current car. If you are into gaming PC's everything you buy is out of date by the time you fit it.
Technology moves forward

I also wonder how many of the people moaning about this happily get a new android phone/iphone every two years JUST for a slightly better camera. Why not moan about them not selling you a new camera for your existing phone? The e-waste in mobile phones is horrific and for no good reason.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
The only thing that i find better in the new system is the new purion.
Personally i'm not concerned about all the new stuff since i bought a new ebike this year.
But generally i dont understand what bosch is doing - running 2 cx systems for a while?
No dual battery and only one big 750wh battery. (could offer 250/500/750 in the same
form factor to go lighter)
Maybe they will fix this next year with a new system :p

It's exactly the same as when iPhone 13 comes out - they still sell the 12 for a year at a reduced cost.
Get's rid of old stock and gives people options for a slightly cheaper entry into the market

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
I would say we need them to keep making improvements to their products and if that sometimes means they aren't backwards compatible then so be it.
I'll continue to be perfectly happy to ride my largely unmodified Bosch Gen 4 Focus Jam2 for a fair few years yet as long as it keeps working and far I've not had any real problems. I'll probably even keep using my Gen 2 Cube hardtail for the foreseeable future although mostly that only sees road use these days.
But then I'm happy to buy a new car and run it for 15-20 years.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Bosch is a very active technology company that plays in so many arenas. I bought my particular bike based on the fact it had the Bosch motor. The company I worked for was using Bosch to develop their electronic products. BUT, it drives me crazy that in 2021 I can't diagnose or set parameters on my own eMTB or eBike with a Bosch CX or Performance motor! Seriously, I can remap my Triumph motorcycle ECU, diagnose any fault on our car or truck, upgrade firmware on any number of devices. Keep developing your products Bosch but GIVE US THE TOOLS!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can see the need to tweak the nuances of different modes, diagnosing a battery or motor, resetting a service notification or is my speed sensor acting properly. In NA I’m restricted to 32km an hour. Unfortunately, because of government regs, 15mph is the limit in other places.There needs to be some serious debate and users input to this new and growing technology.
My LBS is frustrated that they must reset my Kiox or d/l the latest firmware.Yet I can do that on everything else, except my car…which must be registered and operated by a licensed person. My car has no speed restrictions that I know of.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I hope the next development is having a set of interlocking batteries so that you can decide how many you want to ride with each day
Yea, I agree with given the option on what size battery you want to ride with. The new Norco eMTB line is interesting as you can get a 540Wh battery for the bike park days and a 900Wh battery for the Epic ride days:)

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Yeah, not stoked not backwards compatible here, especially since got Rail last spring. 625 w/hr battery just not cutting it for me on any +2hr rides (ECO and Tour settings only), so would love the additional wattage and better electronic connections since mine will short at times in rougher terrain. Have to use two very tight velcro straps around battery to keeps shorts at bay. This even with new battery alignment mounting bracket. Since coil shock, no shorts yet. Looks like second battery instead of new Rail for me, so can get proper rides in on my longer ride days (off work days). So far, can’t getting any more riding in on Rail then regular bike, just able to do about the same in bit shorter time.

Terrafirma

Oct 7, 2020
Australia
The whole terrain is changing ATM. You can't buy new bikes anyway at the moment, stock shortages are the problem. I think the current Gen 4 with 625W battery is fine as it is, I'm getting 3 hours plus with 1200M easily (Around 60Kms) . That's enough for me. I bought a 6 amp charger and if I stop for lunch and have access to power or my battery box I can recharge it to 80% within an hour. If that's not enough I would buy a 2nd battery. Newer bikes will come with integrated motor and drive lines eventually with bigger batteries and more power etc and given the shortages of bikes you can sell your current bike for a decent dollar. I tried the new firmware with the Tour+ mode you need to pedal a bit harder it's more natural but will give you power if you need it and it extends the range if your that way inclined.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Out of interest, how does the eco mode on the Gen 4 compare to standard eco on EP8 or E8000, more or less assistance?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles