• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Bosch cranks and chainring question

AssegaiRear

Oct 15, 2024
East SF Bay
Hi, everyone. I'm new here, thanks very much for having me, and looking forward to any insights anyone can provide with this problem I'm confronting. I own this bike:

Or rather that frame, with a Bosch Gen 4 motor. The components were/are much lower spec. I have about 5000 miles on it, and I'm really tired of snapping chains and so on. Right now, it has a full SRAM X01 mechanical drivetrain on it, and I'd really rather keep it that way to maintain compatibility of my wheels across my fleet of bikes.

Just yesterday, I snapped a new XX1 chain, loosened, and damaged my brand new Hope e-bike chainring. I had concerns about using an alloy chainring due to the nature of e-bikes, and this kind of confirmed the problem. So here is what I want to do, and I'd love all of your thoughts on whether its feasible or not:

• If I upgrade to an absolute black super steel chainring, can I keep using my Hope e-bike cranks? Everything I've seen indicates I should be able to, and indeed that any Bosch compatible crank arms should work on any Bosch compatible chainring.
  • If I upgrade to a Shimano HG+ chainring, can I run an XTR chain on my otherwise SRAM 'train? XTR chains are, according to Zero Friction Cycling, the only decent e-bike rated mechanical chains. I have unfortunately also snapped at least two KMC E12 chains.
  • If I upgrade to an absolute black ring, could I squeeze a 38t on there? My understanding is that larger chainrings place less mechanical/motor stress on the rest of the drivetrain. The Trek site says max chainring is 34, but I'm pretty sure I could slap a 36 on there without trouble. A 38 is much iffier.
Any insights would be very much appreciated. Thanks again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles