Bosch charging socket loose, how to fix?

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
Any tips to fix this issue (superglue?). Brand new bike, pulled out on first charge! Bought the bike online so not easy to fix under warranty. I’m assuming a new socket would need all the electrical wires resoldered?
Any reason not to fix with glue?
05ACE727-C50B-4FD8-9DCC-67E4AE96D1FB.jpeg

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Any tips to fix this issue (superglue?). Brand new bike, pulled out on first charge! Bought the bike online so not easy to fix under warranty. I’m assuming a new socket would need all the electrical wires resoldered?
View attachment 36064
How odd, similar thing happened to me on my Focus and I posted it yesterday, only mine has actually broken the plastic surround, So I’ll need a new socket assembly. To me, yours looks like it should just push back in. It all seems a bit flimsy on a bike that’s supposed to be taking a hammering. mine is also an online purchase but on a previous issue the dealer suggested I take it to my LBS, which I did, and the dealer repaid me the repair cost; it’s worth asking at least.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I cannot see from the photo what method is used to secure it to the housing but I would remove that housing from the frame to get a better idea. It would normally be a sprung detent or (looks more likely) a one position insert and then half turn.

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
It does just clip back in, but comes out again with no pressure. I’m worried for the thin wire connections if it ever gets pulled out too hard. I’ll contact the retailer and see if they will send another socket that I can get fitted locally.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Make sure the little retaining points are fitted into those slots in the socket - you might need to push and rotate so it clicks into place. Also make sure they're all present and not snapped off.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
that looks a simple push down and twist. The plug has a verticle detent allowing it to be pushed down aligned with the guide on the socket. That guide is shaped like an arrow suggesting it is spring loaded and will compress out of the way when the plug is turned in the socket. There is then a horizontal detent on the plug which presumably engages with another guide further into the socket....then twist to secure. There should be enough slack in the wires to enable the plug to be remove further so that you can then see the details of how the plug is secured further down the barrle of the socket.

sebastian

Aug 8, 2021
nj
that looks a simple push down and twist. The plug has a verticle detent allowing it to be pushed down aligned with the guide on the socket. That guide is shaped like an arrow suggesting it is spring loaded and will compress out of the way when the plug is turned in the socket. There is then a horizontal detent on the plug which presumably engages with another guide further into the socket....then twist to secure. There should be enough slack in the wires to enable the plug to be remove further so that you can then see the details of how the plug is secured further down the barrle of the socket.
I’ll give it a crack - thanks . but .. it’s an oval insert so likely not amenable to twisting ..

euphomate

Oct 28, 2021
Australia
View attachment 36064
I have exactly this issue on a new CUBE hybrid purchased in Australia. This happened on the second charge, and I,m very disappointed to say the least. Must be a problem worldwide. Not sure my local dealer knows what do about it, so I,m a bit nervous. None of the answers on the forum are helpful unfortunately, as the circumstances folk think should apply actually don,t eg press fit, turn socket to engage something etc. This problem doesn’t, seem to have a quick obvious fix. I think it,s a manufacturing design issue.

sebastian

Aug 8, 2021
nj
My local called Cannondale tech and for them at least it’s a known issue: the housing clips do not grasp the Bosch socket groove sufficiently to hold it in place. No use exchanging as it could happen again. Recommended solution was to pull out the housing and secure clips to socket with a zip tie - worked well (but not what you want on a new bike).

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Any tips to fix this issue (superglue?).

Mike is right: Take the whole housing off, and look at it from the back side. Figure out how it's supposed to work. Do NOT use superglue. Cyanoacrylates often make the plastic brittle, and prone to cracking. If you can't figure out how to make it work as intended and must resort to adhesive, use something like Lexel or silicone sealant. Don't goop it all up. Be stingy with it. The repair will be semi-permanent, and you'll be able to clean off all the adhesive if you ever need to. If you're 100% positive about what you want to do, you can use JB Weld. But the o-ring on the connector makes me think that the intention is that the assembly can be disassembled if desired. Lexel, silicone, JB Weld... but no superglue.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Looking at the photo above the charging port is definitely fitted from above...hence the red seal under the top edge. The port has a groove cut from top to bottom which matches the arrow shaped "stud on the fixed plate part, so that determines it alignment. The confusing thing then is how is the port secured after inserting, and secured in a way that applies some pressure to the seal so that it is effective.

There is a groove a round the waist of the port but it is clearly too far down the depth of the port body to be secured by anything visible in the photo. Note however that the port is made in 2 sections and the waist line of the lower section is just below the circular groove such that whatever is supported to fit in that waist groove secures both section of the port. ( the lower section of the port would appear to be a plug in carrying the cable connections and probably released by depressing the the small metal part visible in the cut out on the side of the port. I assume there is matching small metal clip on the other side of the port.

So I believe what is supposed to secure the port is a device that clips around the groove approximately half way down the side of the port. If you are able to pull the port a little further out of its mounting plate you may be able to see what that device is/where it is. Alternatively is the area under the port plate accessible by removing engine covers etc?

My guess would be that the various wires leading to the port are terminated in a plug. For assembly the plug is fed through the hole in the frame. The plug is then pushed into the bottom of the port until the metal plates click into place to secure it.........then the complete port is pushed straight down until it clicks into a circular metal band ( fitting around that groove in the waist of the port). That operation could lead to dislodging/bending/breaking the securing metal band if not done carefully and I suspect that is what has happened in these cases.

If you cannot access the area below the port to see what has happened and effect a fix that way, I would be inclined to put a layer of silicon sealant on the edge the seal sit on and pushing the port onto that layer perhaps with a weight on top of it until it has set. That should be waterproof and strong enough to enable the charger plug to be inserted and removed without disturbing the port.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Have the same on my haibike for the past 2 years. I just hold the socket with my fingertip and pull the cable out

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
My local called Cannondale tech and for them at least it’s a known issue: the housing clips do not grasp the Bosch socket groove sufficiently to hold it in place. No use exchanging as it could happen again. Recommended solution was to pull out the housing and secure clips to socket with a zip tie - worked well (but not what you want on a new bike).

+1 for the zip tie, it’s been solid for 18 months, I just undid the 4 bolts, popped a zip tie on & refitted the bolts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles