Bosch Active line has no power

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
My wife's Moustache lundi ladies bike has a Bosch active line motor with a Intuvia display

It has been intermittently cutting out and the only way to get the power back was to turn it off and then remove and refit the display and turn back on

The motor was getting noisy so it has been replaced under warranty but now the cutting out is much worse, in fact its hard to get the motor to work at all

Its going back to my mate's shop again on Monday to be checked over (he's an authorised Bosch dealer)

Thing is when the new motor was fitted all the firmware was updated and there were no errors showing and a quick ride around the block and all was fine

Now the Intuvia display shows everything working, speed sensor is showing speed, battery charge is being shown, each mode is shown and can be cycled through, Display has been removed contacts cleaned and connections checked and all seem good, motor cover has been removed and all connections checked, wires look to be in good condition

The only thing the display isn't showing is the little slider bar on the right of the display, the more you pedal the more the slider bar should light up

This does nothing and there is no assistance at all, also checked the walk assist and nothing also

The built in light system all works, basically everything works as it should apart from zero assistance

Anyone else experienced this? any ideas or tips?

Think the next step is to plug it in again and if still no errors then its time to start swapping out the display and mount, wiring etc.. until the fault is rectified

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Faulty/dead torque sensor?

Wouldn't of thought so being as its a brand new motor that worked when first fitted

Moot now as its now working again and may have never of had a power cutting out issue since the new motor was fitted

It turns out Bosch have made it so the motor does not kick in if the rear wheel is off the ground (why the f**k would they do that?)

So Ive been trying to diagnose an intermittent fault with the bike in a work stand and wondering why the motor is getting no power ( my Brose powered Levo works in the stand/upside down etc...)

After getting seriously f****d off with the bike i took it out of the stand and used it and the motor worked!

Told my mate (the Bosch dealer) and he said ohh yeah the gen 2 motors do that for some reason, no idea why though

Why the f**k didn't you tell me that and why is that not mentioned anywhere i can see online???

So it is all working fine now

Andrew Edwards

Aug 8, 2021
Coventry, Uk
Hi.
I resently came in to possession of a BMW Pedelec, with Bosch Intuvia Drive System.
When I purchased it I knew that it had a intermittent Fault.
But felt that it was probably going to be a Bad Connection on a socket.
So the problem is.
First time I got on the bike, I started pedeling and then after a short tine the Power came on and Drive for about 1 minute befor cutting out and nothing I did could make it come back on.
So got it home and cleaned the contacts for the Head Unit and put the bike on charge.
The Battery takes a Charge and Holds a charge, although it only shows 4 lights on the Battery and this is confirmed on the Head Unit.
So i remove the battery and clean the contacts and put the Battery back on the bike.
I go to take the bike out for a test ride and power up the head Unit, but their is no Speed Infication on the screen, which leads me to think "No communication with Drive Unit".
But I take it out for a short ride, going down the road I power On the Head Unit and the display suddenly shows speed and I get drive power for about 1 minute, befor it dies again.
At this point I am thinking Connection sockets on Drive Motor, so I get it home and start to work out how to get the Covers off the Drive Motor.
Turns out some one in the Past has stripped the Threads in the Crank Arm, so I could not split the crank and I could not get my puller in, as the motor cover was in the way.
So I take it to my local Bosch Dealer and ask them to put it on their Diagnostic befor I try cutting the crank arm off.
BOSCH dealer Diagnostic comes back Faulty Head Unit, Faulty Battery, Faulty Drive Unit, "Scrap Bike".

Not realy being very happy with what the Bosch Dealer had said, I proceeded to carefully Cut off the Crank Arm, making shore that I did not Damage the Spline (fortunately I used to be a Mechanic).
On getting to the drive motor and sockets, I find that the sockets are all clean and as they should be, but clean them any way.
But still no communication between the Head Unit and Motor Unti, other than a short period whilst Riding the bike.

I am starting to think that it is a connection inside the Drive Unit, but when I come to split the crank the other side, I find the same problem (Striped Threads).
So befor I go any further, I was Hoping (Praying) that some one ether knows what is Wrong or has any good Advice on how to Fix the Problrm.

I am reluctant to give up on the bike, as a new one is going to probably cost me about £3,500.

Please, can any one help?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi.
I resently came in to possession of a BMW Pedelec, with Bosch Intuvia Drive System.
When I purchased it I knew that it had a intermittent Fault.
But felt that it was probably going to be a Bad Connection on a socket.
So the problem is.
First time I got on the bike, I started pedeling and then after a short tine the Power came on and Drive for about 1 minute befor cutting out and nothing I did could make it come back on.
So got it home and cleaned the contacts for the Head Unit and put the bike on charge.
The Battery takes a Charge and Holds a charge, although it only shows 4 lights on the Battery and this is confirmed on the Head Unit.
So i remove the battery and clean the contacts and put the Battery back on the bike.
I go to take the bike out for a test ride and power up the head Unit, but their is no Speed Infication on the screen, which leads me to think "No communication with Drive Unit".
But I take it out for a short ride, going down the road I power On the Head Unit and the display suddenly shows speed and I get drive power for about 1 minute, befor it dies again.
At this point I am thinking Connection sockets on Drive Motor, so I get it home and start to work out how to get the Covers off the Drive Motor.
Turns out some one in the Past has stripped the Threads in the Crank Arm, so I could not split the crank and I could not get my puller in, as the motor cover was in the way.
So I take it to my local Bosch Dealer and ask them to put it on their Diagnostic befor I try cutting the crank arm off.
BOSCH dealer Diagnostic comes back Faulty Head Unit, Faulty Battery, Faulty Drive Unit, "Scrap Bike".

Not realy being very happy with what the Bosch Dealer had said, I proceeded to carefully Cut off the Crank Arm, making shore that I did not Damage the Spline (fortunately I used to be a Mechanic).
On getting to the drive motor and sockets, I find that the sockets are all clean and as they should be, but clean them any way.
But still no communication between the Head Unit and Motor Unti, other than a short period whilst Riding the bike.

I am starting to think that it is a connection inside the Drive Unit, but when I come to split the crank the other side, I find the same problem (Striped Threads).
So befor I go any further, I was Hoping (Praying) that some one ether knows what is Wrong or has any good Advice on how to Fix the Problrm.

I am reluctant to give up on the bike, as a new one is going to probably cost me about £3,500.

Please, can any one help?
It just sounds like the speed sensor is a bit dodgy to me?
What Bosch motor is it? (Gen 2, 3 or 4?)
Do you have any of the error codes?
I would also suspect the Intuvia first, they are known to be a bit flaky.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Wouldn't of thought so being as its a brand new motor that worked when first fitted

Moot now as its now working again and may have never of had a power cutting out issue since the new motor was fitted

It turns out Bosch have made it so the motor does not kick in if the rear wheel is off the ground (why the f**k would they do that?)

So Ive been trying to diagnose an intermittent fault with the bike in a work stand and wondering why the motor is getting no power ( my Brose powered Levo works in the stand/upside down etc...)

After getting seriously f****d off with the bike i took it out of the stand and used it and the motor worked!

Told my mate (the Bosch dealer) and he said ohh yeah the gen 2 motors do that for some reason, no idea why though

Why the f**k didn't you tell me that and why is that not mentioned anywhere i can see online???

So it is all working fine now
Just so it's mentioned online somewhere... The Bosch motors need to see 4.5kg's of force on the pedals before the motor will kick in. This serves as a safety measure to stop the bike taking off when the rider is not expecting it (i.e. sat at a road junction etc.) It also helps in the gearchange power sensing that momentarily cuts the power each time you shift gears.
The Brose motor relies on a movement sensor and not a pedal weight to kick the motor in. The torque senor on the Brose is just used to assess what motor power should be delivered. This is why the Brose runs on a little, can take off on its own if the crank gets slightly stiff to turn and can crash the gear changes without slow deliberate shifting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles