Blown Fox 36. Options?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I've blown the Fox 36 on my Decoy CF Pro. My service center have put in a warranty replacement with Fox, but they say it could take "quite a while".

So, what are my options? Get another Fox 36 Performance Elite?

How about a Fox 38? Do I need the ebike specific version? Can I go to a 170mm or 180mm?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What exactly do you mean by "blown"?
Not holding air?
Loss of damping?
Damper leaking?
Wiper seals leaking oil?

If you don't want to wait for the warranty you should be able to get it serviced or service it yourself depending on what is wrong with it, parts availability and how much work you are prepared to carry out yourself

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Yep good question. Maybe a picture will help - the top has broken. Yes, I can get new parts - but those will also take a while. I've booked two weeks off from work after Easter to go riding. I upgraded the brakes, wheels and rear shock - but of course it's the fork that has to break... and I want to be riding again asap - hence the ask on the Fox 38. I'd get a new fork to be up and running again, and then when the warranty replacement came in I'd sell that.

I have asked YT about the Fox 38, but didn't think it would hurt to ask on here as well.

The first picture is the inside of my fork. The second is how it should look.

20210326_144956[1].jpg
image.PNG

20210326_144956[1].jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So just the compression damper assembly then?
If you can't get hold of one anywhere...
I'd get a new fork to be up and running again, and then when the warranty replacement came in I'd sell that.
Unless you're loaded I'd just get a 170mm Yari - it'll be massively cheaper. Easier to get hold of. Will do the job fine and you'll lose way less on the re-sale.

and no you don't need anything Emtb specific

Last edited:

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Just get a Yari then
massively cheaper. will do the job fine and you'll lose way less on re-sale
I mean I'd sell the warranty replacement Fox 36 and keep the Fox 38. Might as well get an upgrade if I'm going to go through the hassle of swapping the fork?

I did also consider other brands of forks. I used to have the Lyric on my Capra, and liked that a lot, but I'm not a fan of the Yari or Pike. Maybe I'll see what else RockShox has out there these days.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah.. .Ok. got ya.
you'd probably be looking at the Zeb from RS then. Another very good fork, slightly stiffer and burlier than the Lyrik but very low stock availability over here (UK)

I'd also look at the Manitou Mezzer Pro. A very underrated burly long travel single crown fork. Which can often be found at bargain prices

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Hope you get it sorted dude. I just blew my shock and paid to get it fixed as warranty was going to take too long. I even tried to buy an upgraded coil shock but there was no stock in the size I needed.

It looks like the screw holding the valve and shim together came out, interesting failure.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hope you get it sorted dude. I just blew my shock and paid to get it fixed as warranty was going to take too long. I even tried to buy an upgraded coil shock but there was no stock in the size I needed.

It looks like the screw holding the valve and shim together came out, interesting failure.
Thanks. Yep - similar story to mine. Looks like @TransAmMan has saved the day for me!

Luckily, I just put a coil shock on the bike a couple of weeks ago. Was ordered 6 weeks ago. As I found out this weekend, stock is super low on in demand shocks and forks right now...

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
I've got similar opinion as the Lyrik Charger2 owner until I did a serious ride on the FIT4 Fox36. It's perfect. Great support, no hands pain on the same trails. Service is a little more expensive but it's worth this cost.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I've blown the Fox 36 on my Decoy CF Pro. My service center have put in a warranty replacement with Fox, but they say it could take "quite a while".

So, what are my options? Get another Fox 36 Performance Elite?

How about a Fox 38? Do I need the ebike specific version? Can I go to a 170mm or 180mm?
I had my Fox 36 (eBike) serviced last month (also had a couple of issues) . Only took about 2 weeks. Shop that arrange it said they are getting busier.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I had my Fox 36 (eBike) serviced last month (also had a couple of issues) . Only took about 2 weeks. Shop that arrange it said they are getting busier.
It's all good. A kind sir on here had a replacement part for me. Had it installed and ready to go last Thursday (the start of my 2 week riding vacation). Been riding 5 times since then. Bike is riding great. Warranty replacement is still outstanding with Fox.

Also managed to find a Fox 38. That goes on today.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles