Binding Brakes

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Anyone any suggestions as to why the brakes on my mates Giant Trance keep binding and overheating.
They are Shimano brakes and the bike is only six months old.

On one ride around the Dark Peak (very hilly) six weeks ago, both front and rear seized on. Had to take the wheels out to force the pads back. The calipers were very hot. On return I cleaned and lubed the pistons and bled the system and all seemed well.

Yesterday, when riding around Wharncliffe, the same happened, but just to the front this time. Once again, wheel out pads forced back and he didn't use the front brake for the rest of the ride.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Dual or 4 pot brakes?
What size are the rotors?
What is the bike they are on weight wise?

To me it sounds like they have worn quickly and would probably be helped by going to a slightly harder compound - after they have been given a good service.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. He's frying them.
when you bled them them did you make sure to do a full bleed to renew the oil? (rather than just the lever?)
What colour was the oil? cloudy and dark(er) or similar to new?
As Rusty suggests maybe fit harder compound (Sintered) pads.
Shimanos usually come with organics.
big discs help with heat but I'd assume they'll already be 203mm rotors being an Eeb.
A more powerful caliper (Saint/Zee) would also help. ie. more braking power should require less braking.

With overheating. rider and braking technique will come into it too. a big guy brake dragging is going to overheat brakes a lot faster than big guy with good braking tchnique. or a lighter guy.
by this I mean look ahead and use actual braking points on the trail (before features/corners etc). and scrubbing off speed then letting off the brakes on the safer parts rather than dragging the whole way down a descent.
Warny has some steeps but nothing I've seen there is long or sustained enough to trouble a good brake.

it could have been worse. properly overheating a brake can take it to the point the fluid boils and the lever pulls to the bar leaving you with no brake at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles