Hugh74

Jan 10, 2021
North Berwick
Hi All,

Currently debating 3 bikes.
Trek Rail 5
Turbo Levo
Whyte E150

A key part of ownership seems to be aftersales support so was looking for recommendations for a decent bike shop in or around Edinburgh which might help me lean towards one of the above bikes. If I was in the South East with Berkshire Bikes close by it would be the levo.

I've bought bikes from Edinburgh Bike Coop before but not really needed much aftersales support so not sure how good they are. They sell both the Levo and Whyte but not the Trek. If I go Trek it would either be the likes of Evans but would prefer an independent local bike shop, or I order from somewhere down south?

My riding will typically be Glentress blue and red routes, some local trails near me and the Pentlands. Any advice on bikes and bike shops up here most appreciated. Want to order quite soon so hopefully have something for the summer.

Cheers
Hugh

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Avoid Evans like the plague, if only for moral reasons. Wouldn’t want anything to do with a Mike Ashley business.
All three are available from Alpine bikes I think. Not independent as such but owned by Tiso’s.
Edinburgh bike is a coop, so owned by it’s staff.
I bought my e150 from Edinburgh Bicycle. As local as I could get the brand I wanted. Had also had the new software update done as part of the PDI.
No recent experience of Alpine, but my mate ran the workshop in the Aberdeen branch a while ago (by necessity only) and was not impressed by them.

I’d choose based on the bike you want most and delivery times though.

Hugh74

Jan 10, 2021
North Berwick
Avoid Evans like the plague, if only for moral reasons. Wouldn’t want anything to do with a Mike Ashley business.
All three are available from Alpine bikes I think. Not independent as such but owned by Tiso’s.
Edinburgh bike is a coop, so owned by it’s staff.
I bought my e150 from Edinburgh Bicycle. As local as I could get the brand I wanted. Had also had the new software update done as part of the PDI.
No recent experience of Alpine, but my mate ran the workshop in the Aberdeen branch a while ago (by necessity only) and was not impressed by them.

I’d choose based on the bike you want most and delivery times though.

Thanks i‘ll give Edinburgh bike coop a go. How are you finding the e150? It looks great. Think I’d pick it over the levo due to the Bosch gen 4 reliability vs the brose.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Thanks i‘ll give Edinburgh bike coop a go. How are you finding the e150? It looks great. Think I’d pick it over the levo due to the Bosch gen 4 reliability vs the brose.

Really like it. One of the original versions, so 27.5 but I’m happy with that. Friend has had a Levo for a couple of years and is completely in love with it as well. Whytes tend to be better value for money than the Levo, which is what sold it to me.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've had great customer service from Alpine Bikes ..not from a bike purchase though ..I bought a pair of clipless shoes from their Inverness branch while on holiday and less than 3 months later the sole on one of the shoes came away completely..the nearest outlet was Glentress who were happy enough to exchange the shoes like for like after producing the receipt ..

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Try Adam at progression bikes Dunkeld, he's been great with me sells trek and mondraker. My Rail 9.8xt was stolen and he has given me a good deal on another at pre price increase.

He also has a mondraker crafty r carbon for sale for a customer (not used), should be a good price on that

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles