Bike for my wife

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Hi all looking to pick up a trail biased bike for my wife, she won’t be doing any jumps or anything like that - mainly clocking up the miles on mixed terrain. woods, bridle ways etc

Budget 3k, would welcome any thoughts

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
My wife chose the Focus Thron² EQP.

With the discounts we negotiated (and I guess your 3k is £) that should be around your budget. She loves the fact that I get covered in mud and she doesn't. Plus she has panniers because she hates a backpack.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Cube Access SL 625
Around the £2900 mark.
Great motor, battery, fork, and immense range.

Women’s version is called the Access and comes in two colour options.

108D2297-8B54-4304-8D83-1A6394EB55F7.jpeg
AE08A69D-21CA-4D21-9BDD-4062DB405421.jpeg

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
My wife chose this because of the colour, though there is a 2019 version that should be a lot cheaper now. We got a discount on it, but it was still over your price range.
csm_336122_light_3ec5f72f06.jpg

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Most important aspect is *BIKE FIT*. Depending on her size, you may need an XS or S frame, which can be hard to come by. Whatever you do, don't get too large a bike for her because you got a good price on it...

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Most important aspect is *BIKE FIT*. Depending on her size, you may need an XS or S frame, which can be hard to come by. Whatever you do, don't get too large a bike for her because you got a good price on it...

Yep I made that mistake last time...Although she does like the more relaxed semi swept back handlebars of it - a medium Scott Sub Comfort. Going on eBay!

Scott Sub Sport 40 2020 | Tredz Bikes

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I got my wife a Cube Access EX 500 2020. ...and she loves it. Reasoning was
1. LBS supplied not direct/internet sale
2. 2020...so 4th Gen Bosch motor.
3. No need for full sus..so hardtail...also makes it lighter and less maintenance.
4. EX to get 120mm front fork...still spring not air, but works fine for her type of riding.

She is 5 ft 6 and the bike is a 15 inch and the standard frame which just meant her getting used to the idea that she cannot reach the ground if seated on the saddle...ie she had to learn to slide off the saddle when she stops ( I know..standard...but not for some ladies!!
Price was c £2100 if I remember correctly.
She loves it...even found the saddle fine.
I bought mudguards ( Enduro front/mudhugger FRX plus extender on the rear), bottle cage, and small saddle bag for tools and tube etc.)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
She is 5 ft 6 and the bike is a 15 inch and the standard frame which just meant her getting used to the idea that she cannot reach the ground if seated on the saddle...ie she had to learn to slide off the saddle when she stops ( I know..standard...but not for some ladies!!

That freaks out my missus. She also has a bit of a problem throwing her leg over the bike to get on it. So the first (additional) purchase was a dropper seat post. Recommended!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I know what you mean! I showed my wife how much easier it was to get on if she angled the bike over towards her. Problem solved!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I know what you mean! I showed my wife how much easier it was to get on if she angled the bike over towards her. Problem solved!

Yup. Did all of that, too. Including demonstrating the "pensioner mount" method (which did not go down well!).

But there was still that problem of no confidence with not being able to reach the ground at intersections or when dismounting. 100mm of dropper post sorted that. It also means that she can warm up with a slightly lower seat position, which she seems to prefer. Who am I to argue? - I wouldn't stand a chance!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I thought about getting a dropper but she would probably end up using it as an ejector seato_O

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles