Best smart watch for GPS MTB trial navigation?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Ok so April fools day came and I bought a Nike Apple Watch 6 that even it’s basic Apple maps doesn’t provide routes for cyclists so that swiftly got disposed of!

So does this actually exist yet? An app that has all the trails that gives turn by turn, I’m not fussed about it telling me if my hearts beating at speed, I’ll already know that!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
In short, they all suck for MTB trail navigation. You need two hands on the bars and two eyes on the trail, and the display is just too small and at a poor position to do the job. I've tried Apple Watch (with a dozen or so different apps), Garmin Fenix, Garmin Edge, and overall just a complete disappointment. The phone apps are decent, but you put your phone in harms way. I'd considered a Garmin 830, but I may just put an older iPhone in a protective case and use that. Nice part about a phone is that you have a ton of apps, and can use a generic external battery to recharge it on the fly for epic days.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I use a garmin fenix 6 pro on the bike, used it for navigating my way round the lake district at the weekend.

I created the route I wanted to follow in the garmin connect website as a GPX file, uploaded it to the watch and told it to navigate me round. It shows a map on the screen , with your route highlighted, tells you when the next turn is, bleep at you as you approach the turns and bleeps if you go off course. It has all the UK off road tracks on it, bridleways, footpaths etc, it seems to use openstreetmap as the source for the mapping.

I think a bar mounted GPS with a bigger screen would be much better, but to be fair to the watch, it did the job fairly well.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Okay here’s the winner surely?

The iPhone could be charged by the display too I think, just need to get the adapter

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I guess that depends on the mapping, off-road it may be no better than apple maps. and its still £290.
Less the cost of the previous display, mines a Kiox...then it’s hardwired so no battery concerns, just might be out on the map system but looked good to me from the few pictures available.....not sure where to buy though

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I also have an old iPhone 4s which I use a gif gaff pay as you go sim, also works well and the wife can use ‘find my friend’ to make sure your moving and not in trouble.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Less the cost of the previous display, mines a Kiox...then it’s hardwired so no battery concerns, just might be out on the map system but looked good to me from the few pictures available.....not sure where to buy though

Is this the same one?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Is this the same one?

Its not no, its the older version, if you click the link with the video you can see the updated one.

That said, how about this? Good offer atm, do the job?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I have the 830, cracking bit of kit, the watch is to small to be functional. I need to confess about buying a fenix 6 pro though, there is a wealth of information on the watch, far to much for me to make use of, that and the fact without my glasses on i can bearly see the time lol. The joys of old age ?
Between a dedicated Garmin sat nav computer and a watch its just over kill. You can navigate via the watch but its a little painful. Get both and make sure your eye sights good.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
In short, they all suck for MTB trail navigation. You need two hands on the bars and two eyes on the trail, and the display is just too small and at a poor position to do the job
Yes that is my experience. Not recommending these cos I haven't tried them and unnecessary for where I ride so unlikely I will, but:

glasses.png

solos HUD smart glasses

Features widescreen WQVGA 16:9 microdisplay
  • Weighs 65g
  • IP54 dust and water resistant rating
  • Internal speaker and microphone
  • Works with Strava, MapMyFitness and TrainingPeaks
  • Up to five hours battery life

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yes that is my experience. Not recommending these cos I haven't tried them and unnecessary for where I ride so unlikely I will, but:

glasses.png

solos HUD smart glasses

Features widescreen WQVGA 16:9 microdisplay
  • Weighs 65g
  • IP54 dust and water resistant rating
  • Internal speaker and microphone
  • Works with Strava, MapMyFitness and TrainingPeaks
  • Up to five hours battery life

Interesting will check that out thanks! I've ordered the Garmin computer thats on offer, I'll pair it with my phone and if that goes to sleep at least the garmin will serve as a nice gps backup

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Interesting will check that out thanks! I've ordered the Garmin computer thats on offer, I'll pair it with my phone and if that goes to sleep at least the garmin will serve as a nice gps backup
Or,
Now you can View and control your favorites DJI drones with your Blade or M300/M300XL.

Connect your Vuzix smart glasses to your DJI controller and use your blade as a new viewing interface for your DJI drone

- while flying your e-mtb downhill. Surely we're approaching device apocalypse or the singularity or whatever. For me, less is more but it still looks pretty interesting.

Vuzix-Blade-Features%20(1).png

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Or,

- while flying your e-mtb downhill. Surely we're approaching device apocalypse or the singularity or whatever. For me, less is more but it still looks pretty interesting.

I have a pair of M300 wearables and there's likely no way I'd use them on an MTB. It's a great device for in an office or a factory - but it would not fare well on a mountain bike ride.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Garmin Fenix 5 Plus is great, I've used mine loads for navigating on my bike.
Fenix 6 if you can afford it :oops:
£356 on an offer atm but surely you need the pro version with maps? Then some bone conducting headphones so you can hear step by step as you don’t want to be looking at the watch all the time do you?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles