Best phone for mission control

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
Hi, I have a one plus mobile and it sleeps after 5 mins meaning that my rides are not tracked. I have tried all of the settings, but I cannot stop this happening. From reading some one plus forums and Strava posts it looks like a problem with all one plus phones. Before I fork out 500 quid on a new phone I thought it best to get some advice. Is anybody using Samsung phones to track rides with mission control/strava, do they work, or do you just get a straight line from the start of your ride until you check your phone? Cheers

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
both work fine with all the various Samsung models I have had. To state the obvious both Strava and MC open a webpage via your phones browser. Those web pages stay open unless you force close the app......or clear your tabs.....or it gets overwritten by new tabs ( usually only 100 tabs can be open at one time). So if either of those apps do not stay open on your phone maybe it is whatever browser you are using...try browser settings or another browser?
To record a full ride the app has to have access to a range of maps or the app has a contract with Google Maps ( which it has to pay for). Your phone has to have "location" permitted, usually it needs battery saving switched off, and for MC the phone has to stay in Bluetooth contact with the bike. MC only captures one map...if you ride beyond that map it needs too find the next one.....so your phone needs GPS/location on and it needs to be able to use mobile data. Personally, whilst many of the same settings apply I see no benefit in using MC to track rides if you are OK just using Strava. In fact there is a benefit since with Strava you do not have to have blutooth using up phone battery!

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
both work fine with all the various Samsung models I have had. To state the obvious both Strava and MC open a webpage via your phones browser. Those web pages stay open unless you force close the app......or clear your tabs.....or it gets overwritten by new tabs ( usually only 100 tabs can be open at one time). So if either of those apps do not stay open on your phone maybe it is whatever browser you are using...try browser settings or another browser?
To record a full ride the app has to have access to a range of maps or the app has a contract with Google Maps ( which it has to pay for). Your phone has to have "location" permitted, usually it needs battery saving switched off, and for MC the phone has to stay in Bluetooth contact with the bike. MC only captures one map...if you ride beyond that map it needs too find the next one.....so your phone needs GPS/location on and it needs to be able to use mobile data. Personally, whilst many of the same settings apply I see no benefit in using MC to track rides if you are OK just using Strava. In fact there is a benefit since with Strava you do not have to have blutooth using up phone battery!
Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles