Best goggles/glasses for visibility?

Jul 30, 2022
Scotland
Hey,

I recently bought a set of 100% Strata 2 goggles. I basically want to protect my eyes from wind/bugs/dirt and most importantly, rocks and sticks in the event of a crash.

I've worn these for a total of 15 mins and I'm not enjoying them. The reduced visibility of the trail leaves me feeling a bit blind. I may just have not got used to them but I don't see these working out for me.

I'm use a full face helmet for the majority of rides.

Does anyone have any recommendations that will be better? Open either glasses or goggles, though goggles seem a bit more robust.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
For Glasses I use Melons, they are brilliant, especially with a half face, although you could wear them with a full face too

Goggle Wise I use either Oakley or Smith ones myself and have never had any issues with with either brand

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Does anyone have any recommendations that will be better? Open either glasses or goggles, though goggles seem a bit more robust.

There are a lot of features that make glasses or goggles great. I've found none better than Oakley. I prefer their Trail Torch lenses for the added contrast and trail definition they provide.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Oakley's for me as well. I've been using them for years and years. The clarity is exceptional. They are very robust; I trod on them once, I heard and felt a crunch and they broke into several bits! But they just clicked back together again!! :love:

The nosepiece and the socks on the arms are made from what they call "Unobtainum" despite rain or sweat they stay stuck to your face. Despite falling off a lot, I have never once had the Oakleys fall off. I wear them with my open face and also my full face helmets.

PS: I opted for the photo reactive lenses. They remain clear in all conditions and they change tint rapidly.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
We (wife and I) both wear Oakley Jawbreaker glasses with Trail Torch lenses.

Have Oakley Airbrake goggles with Torch lens if I don't want to wear glasses.

Absolutely no issues with either. But you have to be careful with the lenses, they do scratch easily.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
I have the Oakley Sutro S and the Jawbreakers that I wear with my half shell helmets and Oakley Airbrake MTB that I wear with my full face. The trail torch lenses are probably the best I’ve used, I’d recommend those if you go with Oakley. I have them in my Sutros and my Airbrake googles but couldn’t get them in my jawbreakers, they don’t offer them with the prescription lenses.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Smith or Oakley for glasses or goggles. They both use optically corrected lenses and contrast enhancing features. It is the lens that makes up a significant part of the price.............neither are cheap, but you get what you pay for!!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've 3 pairs of goggles; 100% Strata that has a stamped lens and Fox and Melon with injection moulded lenses. The injection moulded lenses are significantly better (and more expensive) and as the old duffer up there says, you get what you pay for.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles