Bent rotor hack

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Bent my rotor more than once on a single ride. So it was a bit special.
Rigged this up when I got home, so I could get it true again. Worked out better than expected.

As you can see it’s a small bolt that a ground to a point at the end. 2 nuts give it stability and are glued to the frame with a hot glue gun.
This gives a great guide when trueing the rotor as it can be screwed in and out.
The hot glue just snaps off the frame when finished. I suspect you could leave the nuts attached and carry the bolt in your kit for trail side repairs.
Could proberly use the same method to true a wheel with a bolt either side.

145341B5-29F2-4312-80B4-DE1F4845F5A8.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Nice rotors!

Is the rotor floating? I heard they can be noisy, but I'm still thinking I'd like to try something like that.

Left hand drive is so cool! ;)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Nice rotors!

Is the rotor floating? I heard they can be noisy, but I'm still thinking I'd like to try something like that.
Left hand drive is so cool! ;)

Thanks oh Grand One

Hope floaters for they are not noisey but expensive for those who like shine withholding the whine.

Centre drive is better and even coolera ! ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Sorry mate... it's either Zimmerframe's humour is rubbing off on me, or I've reached the age where I've started to regress into my childhood... :confused::sleep:
At the time I could not be bothered typing much more. ?‍♂️
In Australia floaters or floaturds are usually found in public swimming pools. Hence why I keep away from the yellow rivers ?‍♂️

Anyway... wtf were we talking about again..
That’s right Zimmer and his unassuming taste in humour and how it sticks like shit to a blanket. Dam it, I blame Zimmer anyway.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Rigged this up when I got home, so I could get it true again. Worked out better than expected.
Back to topic... I'm really intrigued...

When my normal rotors go out of round, I usually get an adjustable spanner to clasp and gently nudge the spoke ever so slightly - the one (or the two) that's directly supporting the segment that's off. I never try to bend the outer ring itself.

What's the technique to straighten a floating rotor ring??

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Back to topic... I'm really intrigued...

When my normal rotors go out of round, I usually get an adjustable spanner to clasp and gently nudge the spoke ever so slightly - the one (or the two) that's directly supporting the segment that's off. I never try to bend the outer ring itself.

What's the technique to straighten a floating rotor ring??
I just jam a large Allen key in them to apply leverage to the outer ring or alloy body if needed. A shifting spammer also works.
I prefer the floating rotors as they are less prone to bending especially when they are 200-203mm. Much better than a big sheet of metal.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

As you can see it’s a small bolt that a ground to a point at the end. 2 nuts give it stability and are glued to the frame with a hot glue gun.
This gives a great guide when trueing the rotor as it can be screwed in and out.
The hot glue just snaps off the frame when finished. I suspect you could leave the nuts attached and carry the bolt in your kit for trail side repairs.
Could proberly use the same method to true a wheel with a bolt either side.

View attachment 20950

WTAF ???

You do realise all disc brakes come with a handy little set of pads spaced a mm or so from each side of the rotor that can be used as a trueing guide ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
WTAF ???

You do realise all disc brakes come with a handy little set of pads spaced a mm or so from each side of the rotor that can be used as a trueing guide ?
WTAF ???
You do realise this is more accurate to dial in the final touches of trueing the rotor than the pads that can be hard to see the gap in right ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it either rubs or it doesn't. We don't need our disc rotors trued to within microns

It won't stay true anyway... as you slowly seem to be finding out for yourself ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles