Battery usage in the cold

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Was in Coedy on the weekend on the Levo and when I went to give the battery a quick top before the ride on Saturday it basically would not charge and would not switch on. Basically just beeped and flashed 3 red lights.
The bike had been out in a locked bike shed overnight with about 12 other bikes all padlocked together and the temp must have been around -5 overnight. Basically the battery was too cold to use and I had to warm it up on the radiator in order to get it too work.
Got me thinking, if you ever go somewhere and it is cold and the bike is being transported outside of the car, probably best to take the battery off and keep it in the car. Also the same if you are leaving it in a shed and it is getting below freezing, keep the battery inside. If not you may not be able to use the bike / ride until you have warmed up the battery.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My battery is only ever on the bike if I am. The rest of the time it lives in the kitchen/diner, by its charger, away from the radiator and other sources of heat.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bummer. At least you know to take the battery out in the future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles