Battery contact cleaner advice?

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Can someone advise what is the procedure for using contact cleaner after a spin when cleaning the bike?
Do you spray both battery contacts once removed and contacts in the frame?
Leave to dry naturally or wipe off?

TIA

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you can do either...it depends whether you are merely "treating" the contacts or if there is dust/dirt you want to remove. Electrical contact cleaner is used to attack oxidisation that occurs over time on virtually any electrical contacts exposed to the atmosphere, and provides some ongoing protection. So if all you are doing is "treating" the contacts for that purpose it only needs to be done a couple of times a year and you can leave it to evaporate. If you are needing to clean away dust/dirt then spray and then use a clean lint free cloth or something like an ear bud to wipe the contacts. For "female" battery contacts it is best to "treat" the male plug/charger contacts and then make the male/female connection. The contact cleaner is then transferred as the male/female contacts "wipe". That of course will not work on the Brose Rosengerger magnetic type connection so the battery contacts need to be sprayed lightly with it facing down to let gravity do its job.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Thanks Mike, I was under the impression this had to be done after every spin in winter to make sure everything is dry. You reckon that is overkill?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
On my Bosch I just give them a Quick spray and leave them to Dry every 6 months, no issues so far

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks Mike, I was under the impression this had to be done after every spin in winter to make sure everything is dry. You reckon that is overkill?
Electrical contacts need to be clean and dry...........that means keeing them dry, and that is about protection, not cleaning. So pay attention to how well battery and charger port are protected from water and trail debris and modify as required. On my Levo I made a neoprene cover for the motor to battery connection ( which is also the charger port). On my Whyte the battery and connections to the motor and CAN are really well protected so no need for any additional measures by me. The charger port has a rubber cover cap and is located inboard of most trail water/mud so better than most "flappy" charger port covers. Even so I made a small neoprene cover for it as a secondary barrier.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles