Bash Guard Rail 7

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Any recommendations for a bash guard for a 2022 Rail 7 ?
I’m not sure if older models fit and which ones are any good.

cheers

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Any recommendations for a bash guard for a 2022 Rail 7 ?
I’m not sure if older models fit and which ones are any good.

cheers
I’m not sure if the older ones will fit but I’ve found that the aluminum bash guard is necessary for Rails on rocky terrain. My daughter has a plastic bash guard on her Powerfly 4, but that’s probably all she needs.
I’m on my third bash guard now and I keep one for a spare. If a small piece of cooling fin breaks off (outside of the bash guard protection area) make sure you soften the edges to prevent any migrating cracks into the motor casing.
A good bash guard is necessary (aluminum) but it will fit the Powerfly’s in my stable. I would not use the after-market fibre-glass or carbon fibre bash guards on my FS Rail or my HT Powerfly 5.
If a small crack develops in the “weak” area from a strike, then the bash guard is structurally compromised.
E445365F-26E2-4A9B-BFA2-68472392EA79.jpeg

These after market bash guards are only good for looks or small pebbles.
DA28A096-D491-4AA0-A10E-BA53390D3508.jpeg

My front tire once picked up a rock, about the size of a rooster egg (slightly smaller and rounder then a hens egg 🥚). It went through the spokes, off the bar, and straight for my face/teeth. It missed, but a good bash guard would have no problem with this projectile. Thankfully I don’t have to deal with that UK mud…that Sh** sticks to everything.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
If a small piece of cooling fin breaks off (outside of the bash guard protection area) make sure you soften the edges to prevent any migrating cracks into the motor casing.
Could you expand on this please? I have damage to some of my cooling fins and definitely don't want cracks in the motor casing

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Could you expand on this please? I have damage to some of my cooling fins and definitely don't want cracks in the motor casing
Sure. Some cooling fins on the gen4 motor are exposed and may suffer from chipping or being snapped off from strikes. This is usually not a show-stopper (Feels like a peddle strike) but needs to be addressed. Inspect the area around the “chipping” to ensure that the casing is not cracked. A chipped cooling fin will likely have sharp edges or irregular break patterns.
Smooth or soften the remaining cooling fin with a small file, sandpaper or dremel tool. If done correctly this may prevent small cracks from migrating to the motor casing, or prevent debris from collecting in this area. Carve or file the chipped fin area to look and feel similar to the original fin. Basically do the best you can.
I’ve done this small repair on 3 FS gen4 motors, including my own, so far. An extended bash guard could prevent this but then the bash guard would need to be much larger and the cooling would be less effective.
8328E71F-A1E5-4C30-AE37-490804B36AE2.jpeg

Here is an example of a small chip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles