Are the bars special "E" bars?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For a few days I had a Focus Jam2 in my possession. Of course I had to change the grips, move the levers, relocate the dropper remote and so forth (as you do). I noticed the the alloy bar had a crease in the underside to allow the cabling for the mode lever shift to drop in there, thus allowing the bar furniture to slide back and forth. That was a surprise!

Are all eBike bars like that, or is this a Focus thing?

The reason I ask is that I have heard people say, and read in this Forum, that they intend to change the bars, for ex. "I'll swap the bars for a Renthal and I'll......" That implies it's the usual doddle, but not so for a Focus Jam2, and I assume the Focus Sam2 as well.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Shimano's PRO brand do some Di2 handlebars (like the Pro Tharsis & Pro Koryak) that actually have holes near the end and in the middle. This is so you can thread Di2 (& now e-bike shifter) cables through the hollow core of the handlebar.

My bike came with some, but I've swapped them for other bars I prefer :) Just a shame to miss the hidden cabling now.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I noted this on the focus, its very neat set up. I had a brief search for something similar a while back, and as @mark.ai says i could only see Pro options

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So the alternative is a standard bar, but with the cabling on the outside? What I'm hearing is that there is no optional "e" bar that all bar manufacturers supply in addition to their standard range?

But at least I now know what they are called; "Di2 bars", but only from Shimano.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles