Anyone recommend a decent value low range torque wrench?

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
I work in IT. I never use any retailers App. Retailer Apps are purely to collect data.

I use the website on a PC VM incognito. But any PC should be fine to make purchases from Retailers. Only give them enough data to deliver the item.
my point is not to give the impression to those reading (who may not have technical background) that ordering on Temu without using precaution is safe. Better to specify what risks and precautions to use.
Yes, indeed. There are books, charts, and formulae for the torque values you're seeking. Mechanical engineering isn't something that was just made up by the pimply faced kid behind the counter at the bike store, or the skinny-jeans fanboy doing Tik-Tok videos for the bike manufacturer. The charts are made up by generations of experts with fancy slide rules using empirical data. The rules apply to everything from Falcon 9 rockets, to steam locomotives, to Rolex watches.

The best place to go for any particular torque value would be the manufacturer. Check their manuals or their web page. If you're lazy and in a hurry, just google on torque tables. If you really want to learn, break out your copy of Machinery's Handbook. It's been published since the beginning of time, and old ones will probably have more information than you ever wanted to know about machines. eBay has old editions for under twenty bucks.

The table will provide torque values for different materials, fastener sizes, thread pitches, etc.
Thanks for the information.

I am an astrophysicist, not an engineer, but in the past have been involved in the design and construction of several instruments. Now I am a manager and do not work anymore on the hardware. However, I am 100% involved in technical things, both civil, mechanical, electronic, and software, but I couldn't find a maintenance manual online for my Trek that specified the torque. Perhaps I should ask the manufacturer directly.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I am an astrophysicist, not an engineer, but in the past have been involved in the design and construction of several instruments.

No way! We're opposite sides of the same coin. Although I'm retired, I dabble in the repair and preservation of some historically significant telescopes and instruments. In doing so, I get exposed to little morsels of astrophysics. I'd like to learn more, but that would require giving up something else, like mountain bike riding. That ain't gonna happen. Are you at Roque de los Muchachos?

IMG_3973.jpeg

Last edited:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Of course, Sir! Do you know the place?

Nah... all I know about such stuff is from reading science periodicals and working on stuff on Mt. Wilson. I just googled on the satellite view of your observatory and was blown away by the terrain. I expected to see something like my friends' vacation pictures on the beaches of Tenerife (beaches are boring). Your mountains look spectacular.

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
You could do a lot worse than this - I bought this set after all my nice tools that I spent 30 odd years adding to, were stolen last year and I had to start from scratch, with no budget either.

This has served me well and has caused no damage - LifeLine Essential Torque Wrench set

View attachment 143700
I have this exact set. Used 1000's of times in the last 8 years. Cannot fault it

Lloydy

Jul 3, 2024
Wales
Can anyone recommend a good value low range torque wrench something in the 2-24nm range or somewhere around that.

Spotted this one on planet x, reviews well but put off by the fact that it says silent operation, thought being able to hear a click when hitting the torque makes sense?

I got a lifeline wrench, been using it for years with no issues 👍

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
This has served me well and has caused no damage - LifeLine Essential Torque Wrench set
View attachment 143700

Apologies for drifting back on topic, but I’ve got this set and it works really well. It’s handy having the bits with it too, as it’s a single box to keep in the car.

When I got it, I compared torques to my park tool wrench and it was identical to the accuracy I could see using the scale on the wrench.

Lloydy

Jul 3, 2024
Wales
Apologies for drifting back on topic, but I’ve got this set and it works really well. It’s handy having the bits with it too, as it’s a single box to keep in the car.

When I got it, I compared torques to my park tool wrench and it was identical to the accuracy I could see using the scale on the wrench.
Yes same as the one I got, used it on my road bike and Emtb for years and still operates like new 👍

Reactions: Dax

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've worked for an instrumentation company for over 20 years now. We're mainly servicing the oil & gas sector, but also pharmaceutical, manufacturing, distilling, aviation and transport (amongst many others).

We deal with many of the main brands of toque wrenches (Snap On, Stahlwillie, Facom, Wera etc), but generally supply and recommend Norbar torque wrenches. They have a good track record of being sturdy, repeatable and repairable... as well as competitively priced.

I have 3 different ranged Norbar wrenches at home to cover almost everything, and a Wera driver that does something like 0.1 to 2Nm for the range my Norbar's don't cover.

Mudrider

Jan 11, 2024
oxford
I've worked for an instrumentation company for over 20 years now. We're mainly servicing the oil & gas sector, but also pharmaceutical, manufacturing, distilling, aviation and transport (amongst many others).

We deal with many of the main brands of toque wrenches (Snap On, Stahlwillie, Facom, Wera etc), but generally supply and recommend Norbar torque wrenches. They have a good track record of being sturdy, repeatable and repairable... as well as competitively priced.

I have 3 different ranged Norbar wrenches at home to cover almost everything, and a Wera driver that does something like 0.1 to 2Nm for the range my Norbar's don't cover.
Thanks for the recommendation the norbar torque wrench and the halfords advanced torque wrenches seem to be the same product in a different colour.

Robson

Aug 8, 2023
Finland
You could do a lot worse than this - I bought this set after all my nice tools that I spent 30 odd years adding to, were stolen last year and I had to start from scratch, with no budget either.

View attachment 143700
Fwif this set is called "Mighty" in europe. Cost about 50€

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks for the recommendation the norbar torque wrench and the halfords advanced torque wrenches seem to be the same product in a different colour.

It looks awfully like it. Their model naming structure is the same, and they look the same except the colours, and the Halfords ones have different handles. It'd make sense for a British company to make Halfords own brand.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Can you please tell me how do you know which is the right torque to be applied to each bolt? Do you find it on a maintenance manual or you apply a sort of thumb rule based on your experience?

For my Levo and Santa Cruz, shop manuals are available that show the torque specs and bolt specs for pretty much everything on the bike(s). For aftermarket parts such as stems and things that clamp on bars, you'll often get a torque spec printed on the part. Similarly for automotive projects, user manuals and shop manuals usually have torque specs (user manuals generally only for simple stuff like wheel nuts). When wheelbuilding, I'm pretty much using "rule of thumb".

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
When wheelbuilding, I'm pretty much using "rule of thumb".

Figuring out spoke tensions is a chore--you gotta look up the tension that the rim maker recommends, then you need to measure your spokes, then you need to plug the diameter, material, and shape into the table, then you need to find the deflection for your gauge.

I'm too lazy for that. When I get a new bike or new wheel, before riding it, I measure the deflection. The four sides--front, rear, drive, brake--will all be consistent, so there are only four numbers to write down. The assumption is that the wheel builder knows what it's supposed to be, so I copy that.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
On another note - Norbar are part of the Snap On group...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Figuring out spoke tensions is a chore--you gotta look up the tension that the rim maker recommends, then you need to measure your spokes, then you need to plug the diameter, material, and shape into the table, then you need to find the deflection for your gauge.

I'm too lazy for that. When I get a new bike or new wheel, before riding it, I measure the deflection. The four sides--front, rear, drive, brake--will all be consistent, so there are only four numbers to write down. The assumption is that the wheel builder knows what it's supposed to be, so I copy that.
“As long as it’s perfect …that’s close enough”. Which is probably why it takes me FOREVER to lace and true a wheel. 😥

Gareth

Apr 20, 2024
Ayrshire
Norbar are very good, very popular in industry.

I believe Norbar make Halfords ‘Professional’ torque wrenches, so those are a good buy too.

FFX tools have a good range of Norbar wrenches.

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
I'll buy one too. It's available on Amazon. Amazon doesn't deliver here (or add very high delivery fee) but I will buy it during the next trip to the continent. Any model or price range suggestion?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Norbar are very good, very popular in industry.

I believe Norbar make Halfords ‘Professional’ torque wrenches, so those are a good buy too.

FFX tools have a good range of Norbar wrenches.
Seems that Halfords no longer sell "Professional" torque wrenches which appear have been replaced by the "Advanced" range which look different.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Seems that Halfords no longer sell "Professional" torque wrenches which appear have been replaced by the "Advanced" range which look different.

Apart from one having a blue stripe, and one having a red stripe… they look identical to me (other than the branding).

Reactions: Dax

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Apart from one having a blue stripe, and one having a red stripe… they look identical to me (other than the branding).
I was comparing Halfords Advanced Model 60 with the Norbar equivalent which I think is Norbar part #13841, both being within the torque range in the OP, but could be wrong of course.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
I'm using one of those Amazon ATSafepro 1/4" torque wrenches, seems fine and after checking it out on my works torque wrench calibration rig, it's accurate to about 5- 10%, which is OK, not the best but perfectly acceptable. Around £25.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I was comparing Halfords Advanced Model 60 with the Norbar equivalent which I think is Norbar part #13841, both being within the torque range in the OP, but could be wrong of course.

Great torque wrench’s, but typically bikes use much lower torque than 20-100nm, so look for a 1/4” torque wrench not a 1/2”

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Great torque wrench’s, but typically bikes use much lower torque than 20-100nm, so look for a 1/4” torque wrench not a 1/2”
Which is why I said in post #10:

Use Sealey Sts104 Torque Screwdriver Digital 0-20Nm 1/4In Hex Drive for 90% of work on our bikes. For higher torques use Park Tool TW-6.2 (such as for pedals and cranks).

Pickle1970

Oct 7, 2020
Aylesbury

View attachment 143700
Got one of these, X tools or something from chain reaction years ago. Been faultless and works a treat for about £30

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK

View attachment 143700
I too am happy with the Lifeline set. Bought from Wiggle for less than £30 7 years ago.

see Lifeline Torque Wrench Set review

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles