Anyone had issues with WTB rims?

Miket775

Feb 4, 2020
Northampton, UK
I've had my Whyte E150RS for just over a year now and for the most part have been riding my local trails with the odd jump - was riding this weekend and found that one of the spokes in my rear wheel had pulled through the rim with 3 others cracked around the spoke!

I've had a look around and found a lot of the same reported issues with WTB rims - anyone else suffered the same issues??

E62F5934-7B6D-4142-BEE3-1FEB0A627CDB.jpg

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
That happened to me with a Stans rim but now I have a WTB HTZ emtb rim and it's doing great so far

cep32

Jun 23, 2020
New Zealand
I had a similar issue. Was cleaning the wheels for sale and noticed that every spoke hole had a crack along the rim. All the cracks almost joined up so I'm glad I saw them when I did. The shop replaced them under warranty with the WTB tough version and I sold the wheelset before I rode it.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
This was quite a few years ago, but the only rims I've ever had fail on me were WTB aluminum (longitudinal cracks on both sides of the spoke hole eyelet) and Reynolds carbon (plastic deformation from overheated brake track). Never had a Stans, Mavic, or Light Bicycle rim go bad on me.

Edit: I would suggest using spoke washers on the nipple side to help distribute stress better and make sure you don't have any spokes getting loose. The looseness can cause a sharp hit when the spoke comes under tension while riding, which could contribute to fatigue of the aluminum.

Last edited:

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
I've had my Whyte E150RS for just over a year now and for the most part have been riding my local trails with the odd jump - was riding this weekend and found that one of the spokes in my rear wheel had pulled through the rim with 3 others cracked around the spoke!

I've had a look around and found a lot of the same reported issues with WTB rims - anyone else suffered the same issues??

View attachment 57890
For what it’s worth, I (fortunately) haven’t had any issues after a severe OTB on my 3rd ride after purchase so can speak highly for the WTB’s

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles