Anyone built a track in the garden ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I'm lazy, so If it can't be done with the tractor it doesn't happen....I plonked some rocks at the top of our slope to be used as a trials area. One of the rocks is sloped to be a jump which gets the kids motivated enough to build up some speed.

CA2E5745-280D-4F7B-886E-C3BA93DB2D75.jpeg

f we have any grass, I run the slasher across the paddock to introduce a few corners down towards the dam. Dam walls make good jumps and that gives them incentive to pedal across the paddock..

To distract from the nuisance of getting back up the hill I weaved some single line through the trees. Half an hour on the motorbike trying different lines was enough to get a reasonable flow and erode a small berm at each corner. The kids were then handed a shovel and told to make those berms bigger / stronger.

Trouble is, when it's dry enough for them to ride the snakes become an issue around the dam. Good for keeping their reflexes sharp....

F1F10ABD-3F33-46F2-8370-6252FBB8EF19.jpeg

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I am a fortunate custodian of my old property in the hills. There's a fast BMX track that circles around it. I demolished the ramshackle hinterland shed which was what people called a house in the 80's. For now just a pool and bike track.

Some serious work ahead and the circuit could become a sharp grinding technical climb or switchy downhill dominant trail depending which direction. On the other side there's a serious downhill chute that's been concrete paved to get farm machinery up & down steep 16% sections into groves. Not built for - but perfect - for going max speed & power up & down then cruising agricultural gravel flats & laneways on fast electric machines.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I'm lazy, so If it can't be done with the tractor it doesn't happen....I plonked some rocks at the top of our slope to be used as a trials area. One of the rocks is sloped to be a jump which gets the kids motivated enough to build up some speed.

View attachment 25615

f we have any grass, I run the slasher across the paddock to introduce a few corners down towards the dam. Dam walls make good jumps and that gives them incentive to pedal across the paddock..

To distract from the nuisance of getting back up the hill I weaved some single line through the trees. Half an hour on the motorbike trying different lines was enough to get a reasonable flow and erode a small berm at each corner. The kids were then handed a shovel and told to make those berms bigger / stronger.

Trouble is, when it's dry enough for them to ride the snakes become an issue around the dam. Good for keeping their reflexes sharp....

View attachment 25616
Lazy ha yeah no - I can tell that's some serious work you've put in there whatever your role. Looks like a very enjoyable spot but yes the snakes!!! I've had some close calls with the types that nobody ever wants to have a close call with. I'm thinking mtb type snake armour. Not a thing I'm guessing but worthwhile macguyvering.

I discovered Snake Chaps are a thing. The ridicule will probably hurt a lot less than a snake bite.
Snake Chaps- Lightweight & Comfortable Protection

Snake Chaps.png

Last edited:

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Lazy ha yeah no - I can tell that's some serious work you've put in there whatever your role. Looks like a very enjoyable spot but yes the snakes!!! I've had some close calls with the types that nobody ever wants to have a close call with. I'm thinking mtb type snake armour. Not a thing I'm guessing but worthwhile macguyvering.

I discovered Snake Chaps are a thing. The ridicule will probably hurt a lot less than a snake bite.
Snake Chaps- Lightweight & Comfortable Protection

View attachment 25617

I just use snake gaiterswhen out with the brushcutter ( SnakeProtex™ Extreme Protective Gaiters - Large | Arborgreen ) .

Those chaps look like civilised chainsaw chaps - I'd love to know how their " ballistic" material holds up to a chainsaw. I have a mate who is an arborist and he wears technical kevlar pants - they'd be awesome snake AND crash protection on the emtb

I figure the kids need to learn to spot snakes whilst riding, and much better to get a scare at home than a bite in a remote area! Sprog 1+2 are pretty good at noticing them now and usually manage to bunny hop instinctively. Sprog 3 , well, lets just hope he learnt his lesson after riding over one a few months back.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Sounds like I need to come over for a trail design/build session dude ;)

Definitely, we can hit my usually forest ride before smashing into gallons of tea and cake! Then take a look at the potential track.
I have stockpiled pallets, logs, stone and earth but I lack the experience or imagination to make it happen!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Been breaking up pallets for wood, I have a plan for a large drop at the top of the trail and now I’m stockpiling dirt and logs for a large tabletop (or gap) at the bottom
F30F7BCE-857C-48BA-9596-C6687B6996E7.jpeg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I have all the ingredients and have been combing through the Gazette to make sure I don't get a free holiday in the gulag for my efforts.

So many fines being issued here for non-essential travel, I think I'd have a hard time convincing the officer that I'm travelling to build an essential bike track. There are other essential things to do but the track obviously isn't one of them at this time. Better days ahead.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles