Anybody got any info on the TQ motor insides?

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Were after a picture or details of the inside a TQ 120 motor, so we can strip it. is there anything around?

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
So weve had a bit of the bother with the tool to remove the front sprocket from the tq120. Its available from sussex ebikes, if youve bought one from them, if you havnt then youre outa luck and you cant buy it. wtaf? Its available from germany for 96 euros. so we thought stuff you and made our own. The motor is being stripped tonight to see whats wrong.Sprocket came out great, i cant post any pics, i couldnt figure out how to upload them.Came out great too ! front sprocket now off.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Its squeaking like a dolphin.or birdsong. Weve got the business end stripped, theres zillions of pins , lord knows what they do. All greased and fantastic condition inside.cant see any reason why its squeaking, going to rebuild this side and reinstall in the bike to see if a clean strip and rebuild stops it. otherwise the circuit board end will have to come off.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Sounds like the pin drive system TQ talk about. They’re very good quality motors. We use them in our wind tunnel systems, generally very reliable.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Ive just watched the video from performance line bearings for overhaul of the bosch cx series. well its nothing like that !

cooperte

Sep 17, 2018
Cumbria
Mine's slipping under load. It's always done it but I always thought it was the chain slipping. It's really hard to replicate because it would only do it when I was riding up hills and putting torque through it. I went through a few cassettes and decided in the end to fit a Kindernay gearbox as I thought it would be the answer to my problems. It was still slipping after fitting the Kindernay. I still thought it must be the chain slipping and played around a lot with different chains and the chain tensioner. It's now gotten much worse and the bike is unrideable, it slips even when riding outside the front of the house, never mind going up a hill. The last ride I did was in the lakes and I couldn't wait to get it back to my van, had to coast back as much as possible.

I had an idea yesterday and set it up on my turbo trainer with the front wheel against the wall. I put a little clamp on the walk mode button and it then just drove while I lay next to it and examined it close up. It started slipping again and I realised it was coming from the front, from inside the TQ motor. I'm gutted. I checked through my emails to see when I bought it and realised I've had it 2 1/2 years so I imagine I'm not going to get much joy from the online bike shop I bought it from. I googled new TQ motors and they're £1,600 each.

Has anyone got any advice? I'll ring Performance Line and see if they repair them, but I'm half expecting them not to as they're quite a rare motor compared to Bosch, Shimano, Brose etc. If I don't get anywhere trying to get it fixed, is it worth me opening it up and seeing if there's anything I can do? I don't even know if I could buy parts if I did see anything broken in there though.

Cheers, Terry

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Search around for any forums about M1 Sport-Technik eBikes as they also used the TQ motor and there may be someone that might know about their inner workings or a similar problem/solution? I would wager that brand sold more TQ motored bikes than Haibike......and being a German company, well, lot's of engineering minded folks there. Good luck!

Or better yet contact them directly? Kraftvolle E-Bike Motoren | Fly Uphill!

Last edited:

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Yes I’ve got a spare that I stripped out of interest. I did post some pic here. Have a search through this section of the forum.
My guess is it’s one of two sprag clutches. It would make sense to me when you study the internals and get your head around how it works.
That said, I don’t think it’ll help you. I’ve tried phoning around and I’ve never found anyone who (a) doesn’t hate them or (b) has actually stripped one. In other words, I think it’s highly unlikely you’ll get the part you need

Mine has a failed torque sensor ribbon cable on the crank assy. I contacted both the company that make them and TQ directly for a replacement. No joy. They just directed me to a dealer or Haibike who only want to sell me a new motor.

My advice is try Haibike and ask for some “good will”. They may sell you a motor at cost? Failing that try eBay for a complete bike. There seems to be plenty and they rarely sell.

Good luck and post any info here.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Here you go.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
We’ve got one that’s got a shagged pcb due to it being on the floor and the house was flooded. It belongs to mate so not sure what he wants to do with it . I’ll ask

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
We’ve got one that’s got a shagged pcb due to it being on the floor and the house was flooded. It belongs to mate so not sure what he wants to do with it . I’ll ask
Oooh. Can I have the crank out of it? Cooperte shouldn’t need that bit. It’s a simple remove from the pcb end.

cooperte

Sep 17, 2018
Cumbria
Thanks for the advice everyone. I fitted the kindernay gear hub to my my normal non ebike and took it for a ride yesterday. The problem came with me. So it must be the gear hub, not the motor. Could have sworn it was coming from the motor when I lay next to it, but I must have been mistaken.

Will get in touch with kindernay and hope for the best with them. It's just over 12 months since I bought it

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
As an aside, did you see this?

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford

Blinkin hell, you’ve put some work into that! I do quite fancy the hub and ditch the rear clanger setup.

cooperte

Sep 17, 2018
Cumbria
I quite fancy the new geared hub, what do you think of it ? Did it fit ok on the moterra ?

I don't have a moterra, mine's a Haibike. The gearhub is not too bad when it's working, but probably not as good as a Rohloff. I opted for a Kindernay because it looked simpler to fit than the Rohloff. I've just sent Kindernay an email to try and get it swapped or repaired.

cooperte

Sep 17, 2018
Cumbria

Seriously impressed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles