Any thoughts re e160 10K vs 8000 variant?

Maximage

Oct 19, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
So sadly some **** thought they needed my e160 more than me over the weekend, and cut through 2 locks to do so. I had the old original version with external battery lump, but it had the great spec of Fox Factory suspension, DT Swiss wheel set, Di2 XT and Saint etc etc.

Thankfully insured, but not sure how they will play this one out. Based on component spec alone and not model numbering, it would seem the new 10K is the closest match as it is the only one with Factory Kashima coat suspension, electronic shifting, and DT Swiss wheels (albeit carbon now) etc like I had. But the price has also gone up a chunk. Although most of it is similar spec, it does switch to Sram AXS shifting, not Shimano Di2.

No idea what option insurance will offer, but the next model down (8000) has XT Di2 Linkglide which will integrate better with the motor no doubt, and has no need for piddly little batteries and recharging like the Sram stuff on the 10K, it also drops down to FSA alloy rims (so alloy like my DT Swiss were, possibly not as good, but at least not the cheap factory Merida ones), and suspension whilst not Factory Kashima, is still at least Performance Elite so same internals.

Anyone got any food for thought that I may not have thought of regarding either spec set? Despite my old frame with external battery being dated on teh one that was stolen, I was absolutely stoked with the component spec and performance on it (Rockshox dropper aside) and never had any issues with the Di2. I know Transmission is meant to be a really good thing, but the integration of the Shimano motor and Di2 derailleur that the lower 8000 model gives is somewhat appealing.

Suteki

May 10, 2023
Toowoomba
Ouch.

When you say 'current model' are we talking 2024 (which is the 7K + 10K) or the earlier model 2021-onward? Becuase there was an 8K 9K and 10K in that range.

Maximage

Oct 19, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Ouch.

When you say 'current model' are we talking 2024 (which is the 7K + 10K) or the earlier model 2021-onward? Becuase there was an 8K 9K and 10K in that range.
24 models. Seems to me they have released extra models that I swear weren't there at launch date a few months ago, not that I really looked too much at them as I had no intention to upgrade. I'm sure the 8000 wasn't there previously, but is now there since I've actually had to have a proper look the last few days.

www.merida-bikes.com/en-au/bike/4619/eone-sixty-8000

No idea how this will play out with insurance, but just trying to figure out what would be the best option even if I need to tip more $ in to top things up.

Might have to try avoid the 8000 purely based on the colour though, I've also got one of these in the garage (plus a few others) and it might just be a bit too much brown ... 🤣

www.giant-bicycles.com/au/trance-x-advanced-pro-29-1-2023

Last edited:

Suteki

May 10, 2023
Toowoomba
Ah ok, when I went to Meridas website it never forwarded me to the AUS side. Kind of odd that Aus has the 8K. I would spring for the 10k, sell the SRAM transmission and go LinkGlide personally.

I dont really understand putting SRAM transmission on a Shimano powered bike as all you are doing is losing features really.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles