gKY68Ko.png

potential new one:

est900.png

Question which size is more similar ?

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I would have thought the medium but its probably worth trying to get to through your leg over one if possible.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The Medium.
The new bike is almost definitely going to have a shorter stem than a 2009 entry level hardtail so it's probably going to feel a tiny bit shorter while seated but that doesn't really matter all that much as the E bike is so heavy and has such long chainstays it's going to be nowhere near as nimble as the old bike so will actually benefit from slightly less length in the front.

if standover is an issue the new bike (in M) will have an inch less clearance due to it's higher BB and odd shaped top tube

Last edited:

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
not really comparable easily for a few reasons. The original bike is from a completely different planet geowise in terms of modern geometry. That being said, the new bike doesn't have great geometry at all and unless you have an absolute reason to buy this bike over many of the other options, the geometry alone would be a non-starter for me. Seat tube angle, reach numbers, etc.

I digress... it's likely a medium, but it's going to feel very weird and I would absolutely not buy a bike from the modern era without riding them.

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
not really comparable easily for a few reasons. The original bike is from a completely different planet geowise in terms of modern geometry. That being said, the new bike doesn't have great geometry at all and unless you have an absolute reason to buy this bike over many of the other options, the geometry alone would be a non-starter for me. Seat tube angle, reach numbers, etc.

I digress... it's likely a medium, but it's going to feel very weird and I would absolutely not buy a bike from the modern era without riding them.

Only reason to buy this is value for money.
Plus just moved here (Spain) and hardly any other bike shops arround. Only decathlon

Any other suggestion for arround 2k?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Except the two bikes actually are very comparable as the decathlon Ebike doesn't actually have modern geometry.
and who's to say modern geometry is "better" anyway? Especially when we're talking about hardtails.

Old skool hardtail geometry isn't weird at all. it's just different to what we're being sold now. and it actually suits certain types of riding way better than modern enduro influenced geometry does. That old Hardrock is a very versatile little hardtail capable of being blasted around twisty single track, berms, jumps and XC type terrain all day. (or until your fitness gives in)
Modern geometry Enduro bikes can be absloutely horrible when they're not ridden on challenging terrain. and despite the mtb media telling us all how well every 2022 Enduro bike climbs. None of them climb anywhere near as efficiently as your old rockhopper.
If you're not the type of rider who goes out looking for DH/Enduro style trails you really aren't going to benefit from hugely from the sort of geometry an enduro bike has (and modern trail bikes and Ebikes are all mimicking)

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
Except the two bikes actually are very comparable as the decathlon Ebike doesn't actually have modern geometry.
and who's to say modern geometry is "better" anyway? Especially when we're talking about hardtails.

Old skool hardtail geometry isn't weird at all. it's just different to what we're being sold now. and it actually suits certain types of riding way better than modern enduro influenced geometry does. That old Hardrock is a very versatile little hardtail capable of being blasted around twisty single track, berms, jumps and XC type terrain all day. (or until your fitness gives in)
Modern geometry Enduro bikes can be absloutely horrible when they're not ridden on challenging terrain. and despite the mtb media telling us all how well every 2022 Enduro bike climbs. None of them climb anywhere near as efficiently as your old rockhopper.
If you're not the type of rider who goes out looking for DH/Enduro style trails you really aren't going to benefit from hugely from the sort of geometry an enduro bike has (and modern trail bikes and Ebikes are all mimicking)
Not planning to do any hard core mountain biking... Just need a versatile bike, which I can take off road if needed. Forest roads, gravel, etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles