Another what emtb would you choose thread

Mcbatsenator

Aug 7, 2024
Netherlands
Hey all,

I'm from the Netherlands and I wish I was born in the mountains. I'm big on snowboarding and always have been interested in downhill/enduro mountainbiking. However especially where I used to live it was extremely flat. The local bike shop made me buy an xc bike. I did some xc but apart from the few jumps and obstacles in the local mtb trail I found it a bit boring (and my endurance sucked.. could barely keep up). So I have a BMC twostroke al two but I'm not super interested in riding it anymore. It's value also depreciated to shit in only 2 years.

I just moved to a new place and they have a mtb club that regularly goes over the border to germany for some spicier trails. From what I gathered those are more more enduro style trails. I'd love to start going with them. But I am unsure if I should get an emtb or a regular bike. I once rented a cube stereo hybrid in the Ardennes and I loved it. Especially uphill. But I read it might not be so nice for downhill parts. Especially with the bikes I'm looking at which might be on the heavier side. What would you say?

When looking at option's I saw the Haibike all mtn 3 new for a very good price for the 2023 model. But I can't find that much reviews about it and it seems to be on the heavy side. However for 3k euro's it seems to be a steal. Anybody here have experience with it?
foobar.jpg

I was also talking to a guy who had a decathlon stilus for sale for 2.5k.
e_mountainbike_stilus_e_am_29_zoll_bosch_performance_line_cx_625wh_gold.jpg

Other then that I've been looking at second hand emtb's under 3k like the cube hybrid 140/160, Specialized turbo levo. But there's so many options it's hard to really figure out what's a good deal. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
As local as you can for purchase as above ^^
Also weight isn't a disadvantage on DH runs as the extra weight of a full fat bike works the suspension better in my humble opinion , that and you soon get used to the extra weight of an Emtb over an unassisted variant (y)

Metrix

Aug 6, 2024
Valais, Switzerland
I would also look what type of bike the other riders of that club have. If they all have a regular bike and they go up the hill with a transport or so, then I would recommend also a regular bike. Maybe a light emtb if you find one in your budget. For me I think starting on a lighter bike is better than on a fullpower 25 kg eMTB.

I have myself a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 and it makes a good job on the downhills. I recently upgraded the fork to 150mm now its even better.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I agree, try to purchase an eMTB locally. You’ll appreciate the support they’ll provide and the support you’ll need.

I currently use two types of eMTBs …9.7 Rail and a Fuel 8 EXE. The Rail is a tank but the Fuel has other advantages for me. I’m starting to dump upgrade money into the fuel EXE …different types of wheels and tires. I’ll be able to quickly swap the wheels to suit my riding location and terrain.

This benefit is an added expense but it allows me to ride almost anywhere …the flats or the mountains, by quickly changing the wheels and tires.

The full power, full suspension Rail gets me to the higher elevations …but it’s not necessary on the flats or casual rides with my sweetheart. The Fuel EXE has become my all-round ride. There’s other light eMTB’s on the market but honestly, both models (full-fat and light weight) are good choices. It just depends on where and how you’re planning to use it.

Mcbatsenator

Aug 7, 2024
Netherlands
As local as you can for purchase as above ^^
Also weight isn't a disadvantage on DH runs as the extra weight of a full fat bike works the suspension better in my humble opinion , that and you soon get used to the extra weight of an Emtb over an unassisted variant (y)
I went to the closest proper emtb shop which is 30 minutes driving and unfortunately they charge about 2k euros more for the haibike for example. I'd love to support them but paying an extra 2k I might just have to buy it from the other shop which is 1.5 hours drive.

I agree, try to purchase an eMTB locally. You’ll appreciate the support they’ll provide and the support you’ll need.

I currently use two types of eMTBs …9.7 Rail and a Fuel 8 EXE. The Rail is a tank but the Fuel has other advantages for me. I’m starting to dump upgrade money into the fuel EXE …different types of wheels and tires. I’ll be able to quickly swap the wheels to suit my riding location and terrain.

This benefit is an added expense but it allows me to ride almost anywhere …the flats or the mountains, by quickly changing the wheels and tires.

The full power, full suspension Rail gets me to the higher elevations …but it’s not necessary on the flats or casual rides with my sweetheart. The Fuel EXE has become my all-round ride. There’s other light eMTB’s on the market but honestly, both models (full-fat and light weight) are good choices. It just depends on where and how you’re planning to use it.
Ah nice. Lightweight seems really nice I saw one at the shop aswell but it's a bit out of my budget for now. Ill probably go for a full-fat one first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles