Another Hit Job in the Press!

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Banff National Park, part of the Canadian National Park system recently opened up a handful of trails for ebike use around the towns of Banff and Lake Louise. The local free paper published an article (link below), that is biased against this decision and the reporter highlighted misinformed comments by local "naturalists". I think most eMTB riders are thoughtful riders in this area, and the arguments against eBikes are misinformed and in many ways, elitist. The Canadian national parks are for people to enjoy. Quote "National parks are a country-wide system of representative natural areas of Canadian significance. By law, they are protected for public understanding, appreciation and enjoyment, while being maintained in an unimpaired state for future generations."

I hope you take time to read this article and participate in the vote. It is my opinion that the reporter who wrote this article is biased against most people having access to the back country trails in and around Banff and Lake Louise. My opinion of that the way the article was written is that people with little knowledge of the impact Ebikes will make in the park will participate in the vote as the writer anticipated.

This is how the article began:
“Parks Canada has made a mockery of its so-called core planning values of transparency and science-based decision-making. “It needs to rescind this latest policy change, go back to the drawing board and give this issue the public scrutiny it deserves," said Reg Bunyan, vice-president of Bow Valley Naturalists.

This is the link:

It is my hope that I reach other Canadians who enjoy riding their eMTB's on forested trails, and that they will participate in this discussion here and at the provided link above. I hope other eMTB enthusiasts across the globe participate as well. We are at a turning point here in Canada as these Banff trails are the first trails to open in this national park. Riding an ebike on trails not authorized for eBike can result in large fines and mandatory court appearances. This is serious folks! National Parks are for our appreciation and enjoyments. People like the above Reg Bunyan, vice-president of Bow Valley Naturalists don't seem to get that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles